My 137th recipe, "Maida Biscuit / Spicy Diamond Cuts", a snack from my childhood. I love having some kind of spicy snack with my evening tea. I am not a huge fan of store bought snacks. So my mom used to make sure that there was some homemade snack always available at home. While there were a wide variety of snacks my mom used to prepare, this one was one of my favorites. Apart from being an easy everyday snack, she would also prepare this as one of the many dishes on the day of Krishna Jeyanthi. Ever since I started cooking, I am happy that I have kept that tradition alive. I also tend to make it frequently, so that it would come in handy whenever I start craving for something spicy. This is very easy to prepare, keeps well for atleast a few days and perfectly crunchy. Especially a snack I love to carry with me during my road trips so that I can happily keep munching away 😉
- All purpose flour - 2 Cups + For dusting the rolling surface
- Salt - ½ tsp Adjust as needed
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 Tbsp
- Red chilli powder - ¾ tsp
- Jeera powder - ¼ tsp Optional
- Turmeric - A large pinch
- Asafoetida - A large pinch
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp + For frying
- Water - As needed
- Take a large mixing bowl and add all the mentioned ingredients except for water. Sprinkle required amount of water and mix everything together into a stiff dough similar to how you would make for poori. I needed about ½ - ¾ Cups of water. Keep the dough covered and leave it to rest for 15 mins.
- Make smaller sized balls from the dough. I got about 9 balls. Use a rolling pin and roll them into thin circles. Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut small diamond shapes. Repeat the same for all of the dough.
- Heat oil for frying. Fry the diamonds in batches until nicely golden brown. Drain the excess oil on a paper napkin.
- Store in a airtight container and enjoy.
Notes | FAQ
- If short of time, you need not leave the dough to rest for 15 mins. If rested, you will be able to roll it easily.
- Adjust the spiciness as per your taste.
Yummy snacks!!! So good