My 215th recipe, "Cauliflower Tots", an interesting and healthy appetizer / snack. Regular readers of my blog would probably be familiar with what I am going to tell next. Cauliflower is one my most favorite veggie and I am always on the lookout for new and delicious way to enjoy cauliflower.
Ever since I saw someone making Tater Tots on Food Network, I have been always wanting to make one at home. However I wanted to make one with cauliflower instead of potatoes just to make it more healthier and cut down on the starch. Evenings are one of my favorite times to enjoy a cup of hot tea and something to munch along with it. So it only gave me one more additional reason to bake these today.
These cauliflower tots are extremely easy to make and very addictive. They are perfectly crispy on the outside and soft inside with all the wonderful flavors you would ever crave for. These cauliflower tots could very well get more points for being on the healthier side and one of the most easiest ways to make your kids eat some veggies 🙂
- Cauliflower florets - 2 Cups cooked and finely chopped
- Flax seed meal - 1 ½ Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Onion - ½ cup finely chopped
- Garlic - 1 Tbsp minced
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp finely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese - ½ Cup
- Breadcrumbs - ½ Cup
- Italian seasoning - ½ tsp adjust per taste
- Freshly ground pepper - ½ tsp adjust per taste
- Salt - ¼ tsp adjust per taste
- First add the cauliflower florets to a pan of boiling water. Cook until done. Remove the florets from the water and chop them up finely. Measure 2 Cups of the finely chopped cauliflower florets and keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flax seed meal, water and mix well. Let it sit for 2 mins. Now, add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Take about 1 Tbsp of the cauliflower mixture and form it into a shape of finger / oval. Place it on a well greased baking sheet. Repeat the same process for the remaining cauliflower mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 mins until nicely golden and crispy. Flip it once during the baking process.
- Remove the cauliflower tots from the oven and serve hot along with ketchup or any other dipping sauce.
Notes | FAQ
- Do not over mix the ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Flax seed meal is a substitute for eggs. If not vegetarian, you can use 1 large egg + 1 large egg white instead of Flax seed meal + water.
- Baking time would depend on your oven. So keep an eye on color of the tots for baking time.
- If you would like a subtle onion and garlic flavor, you can saute them first in a pan with little oil for 30 secs before adding to the mixture.
- You can also use garlic powder or salt instead of fresh garlic.