My 214th recipe, "Raisin Corn Muffin", an eggless, moist, soft and spongy muffin. I usually bake different kinds of eggless cupcakes and muffins at home using all purpose or whole wheat flour. However, till date, corn muffin is one among my favorite. It is probably because of the texture corn meal adds to the muffins and a really nice dimension when it comes to flavor. While the jalapeno corn muffins with sweet corns was too delicious and it was slightly on the spicy side and might not be suitable for kids. So this time around I wanted to make a sweet version of the corn muffin, with a little twist to the ingredients. It was a no brainer to substitute the corn kernels with raisins, for the sweeter version. And to spice it up, nothing better than my favorite cinnamon powder. And finally to lend a little bit more moisture and fluffiness to the muffins, I decided to substitute regular milk with buttermilk. This raisin corn muffin was perfectly moist and fluffy. The buttermilk added a wee bit of sourness which perfectly complimented with the other flavors in the muffin. All in all, couldn't believe that I could bake such a delicious muffin without the need of regular eggs 🙂
Raisin Corn Muffin
- Flaxseed meal - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Oil / Melted Butter - ¼ Cup + for greasing muffin pan
- Buttermilk - 1 ⅓ Cup
- Yellow Cornmeal - 1 Cup
- All purpose flour - 1 Cup
- Brown Sugar - ¾ Cup packed
- Baking powder - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - a small pinch
- Cinnamon Powder - ¼ tsp
- Raisin - ½ Cup
- First, add the flaxseed meal and water to a large bowl, mix well and keep aside for 2 mins. By now the flaxseed meal and water would have turned slimy like egg. Add the oil / melted butter and buttermilk. Use a fork or hand whisk and beat until frothy with bubbles forming on top.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder to a mixing bowl. Mix well till combined.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and Fold until both the dry and wet ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix.Let the batter rest for 10 mins. Now add the raisins to the batter and fold once to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease or line a muffin pan with oil. Fill ¾th of the muffin cups with batter.Bake for about 15 -20 mins until the muffin is cooked through and golden.
- Enjoy warm.
Notes | FAQ
- Adjust the baking time as per your oven settings. Inserting a toothpick at the middle of the muffin should come out clean.
- Flaxseed meal is a substitute for egg. If you are not a vegetarian, you can replace Flaxseed meal + water with 1 Large egg and reduce the quantity of baking powder.
- Vegans can replace buttermilk with 1 ¼ Cup non-dairy milk and 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar.