Jai Hanuman !!! My 17th recipe, “Wheat Kesari”, a Hanuman Jayanti Special. On this special occasion of Hanuman Jayanti, may the Lord shower you and your family with his blessings for everlasting joy and prosperity and give you the strength to overcome any hurdles in life. It is traditional to prepare a wheat based dish as prasad on this day.
Kesari is a pretty common Indian dessert which is made as a quick fix dessert on many special occasions. And my mom used to prepare Kesari on many occasions. However for this special day, Kesari is made with broken wheat (Bulgar wheat) instead of the regular semolina | sooji. This kesari tastes so divine and even better than the regular Kesari made from Rava/Sooji 😛 For interested folks, Bulgur Wheat is made from the groats of several different wheat species, most often from durum wheat.
Wheat Kesari is a special occasion Indian sweet made from broken wheat. Broken wheat is cooked until soft and flavored with cardamom and raisins.
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews - 10
- Raisins - 10
- Bulgar Wheat | Broken Wheat - 1 Cup
- Water - 2 Cups
- Rose essence - 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom - 3
- Orange Food Color - 1 pinch (Optional)
- Sugar - 1 Cup (Adjust per taste)
- Heat a pan with Ghee. Once hot, fry the cashews and raisins until golden and keep it aside.
- Now, in the same pan, add the wheat to the remaining ghee and fry for 1 minute. Add the water, essence, cardamom pods, food color and cook covered in low-medium heat. It should take about 10 mins to cook through.
- Once the wheat is cooked, add the sugar, fried cashews, raisins and mix well.
- Cook for a minute and Turn off the stove. Enjoy hot.
- After adding sugar and cooking for a minute, If kesari is at right consistency, you can switch off the stove immediately. If it is still watery, then you can keep it for few more minutes, until you get the correct consistency.