My 280th recipe, "Taiwanese Ice Cream Spring Roll", an interesting way to enjoy your favorite Blue Bunny® ice cream. What is the one thing you miss in Winter ? I would immediately raise both my hands and say that it is enjoying ice cream. I certainly do not mind having ice cream during cold winter days or even night times, however, it is always so much better to enjoy one in the warmth of Spring and Summer. After the initial few cool days of Spring, this weekend had the perfect temperatures for me. I immediately knew that it is a weekend for some ice cream 🙂
Without having any predetermined choices in my mind I went on my usual shopping spree to Walmart. I was looking at the freezer aisles for some interesting flavors of ice cream to give a try. I could see Blue Bunny® ice creams, in their new clear packaging and the flavor swirls were seen through. That was more than enough reason for me to stop and take a look. I could see that there were so many flavors available, more than what I had imagined. Myself and RK were arguing right there for a while unable to decide upon the flavor to choose. Finally, we had to settle with 3 of those Blue Bunny® flavors which we wanted to try. Cherry Pickin' Chocolate™, Mint Chocolate Chip and Cherrific Cheesecake were the lucky ones to find a place in my shopping cart.
Immediately after coming home, I picked up a spoon and gave all 3 of them a quick taste. They were just so delicious that I wanted to try making a recipe with them. I didn't want to make the usual suspects like banana split, sundae, etc and was searching for something interesting to make. During my search, I came across a dish by the name Taiwanese ice cream spring roll or burrito or wrap. Since I love spring rolls, I was immediately convinced. For people who do not know, Taiwan is a South East Asian country. And any place you visit the best flavors will be usually found in their street food. When I read that this spring roll, is a famous street food in Taiwan, I was double confident that it would surely taste good.
Since I have not tasted this ice cream spring roll elsewhere, I would call this recipe as an adaptation of the original. The base of this spring roll is scoops of ice cream placed over homemade crepe made from basic all purpose flour. And the original street food is then topped with shaved peanut brittle and cilantro. I chose to make my version of a peanut dust instead. I named it so, since it is surely like a gold dust, worth every gram. It is just so delicious that you can top it over ice creams, yogurts or basically anything you wish. Since I felt mint leaves would provide a nice and bright freshness to the spring roll, I chose to use them instead of coriander leaves.
The end result was a nice wrap which is so light, fresh and perfect as a spring time dessert. The homemade crepe makes all the difference and it is perfect to hold everything together in place. The Blue Bunny® ice cream adds the needed flavor and the peanut dust makes the perfect topping with a bit of saltiness. The couple of pieces of mint leaves makes the whole ice cream spring roll nicely refreshing and leaves you wanting for more 🙂
Ice Cream Spring Roll
Ice Cream Spring Roll
For Peanut Dust
- Roasted Peanut - 1 Cup
- Butter - ½ Tbsp (Unsalted)
- Salt - ¼ tsp (adjust based on saltiness of peanut)
- Baking Soda - ⅛ tsp
- Sugar - ½ Cup
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- All purpose flour - 1 Cup
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Water - 1 ½ Cups (depends on flour used)
For spring rolls
- Blue Bunny® Cherry Pickin' Chocolate™ Ice Cream - as needed
- Blue Bunny® Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream - as needed
- Blue Bunny® Cherrific Cheesecake Ice Cream - as needed
- Mint leaves - 2 large (finely chopped)
- Chocolate sauce - optional for topping
- First we will prepare the peanut dust. Add the peanut, butter, salt, baking soda together to a bowl and keep aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Add the sugar and water in a pan and heat in medium flame. Swirl the pan around until the sugar is dissolved. Heat until the liquid turn golden brown in color. Turn off the flame immediately.
- Now, add the peanut and other ingredients immediately into the sugar syrup. Mix until combined and transfer to the baking sheet. Leave it to cool completely.
- Transfer the candied peanuts to a mixie/blender and pulse until coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Now, moving on to the crepes. Add the all purpose flour and salt to a large mixing bowl. Add sufficient water to make a thin batter.
- Heat a flat pan (or tawa) in medium flame. Grease it with oil. Pour about ⅓ Cup of batter to the pan. Swirl around the pan to make the batter spread evenly. Cook until the crepe is done and the edges curl up. Transfer to a plate and let it cool completely.
- Right before serving, lay one of the crepes on a flat surface. Add a layer of peanut dust towards one of the edges of the crepe. Add 2 scoops of ice cream on top of the peanut dust layer. Add a little mint leaves and a little more peanut dust on top.
- Bring the edges of the crepes towards the center and roll the spring roll into a neat package. Drizzle some chocolate sauce on top.
- Serve immediately.
Notes | FAQ
Do let me know what your favorite flavor of Blue Bunny® ice cream is.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SoHoppinGood #CollectiveBias
Is the crepe to be cooked from just one side or has to be turned around like a roti/chapati. I wanna try this, very different recipe
Sure Rohit. Unlike a roti/chapati, the crepe will be thin and cooking on one side is good enough.
Mas Malindo says
Thanks for Taiwan Ice Cream Spring Roll Recipes,, I like Ice Cream so much ... hmm yummy... I want to try it,,,
Thanks Mas Malindo for stopping. Sure you would like it 🙂
Manjulika Pramod says
The last pic looked heavenly. Never heard of this recipe. I would love to taste one soon not sure if I will be able to make it as perfectly as above.
Thanks Manjulika for your lovely comment. This is pretty straight forward and anyone can make it easily 😉