My 144th recipe, "Kesar Mango Ice Cream", a wonderful summer treat. Though summer has not really started here, the temperatures on some days makes me crave for something cold. Frankly speaking I would love to eat an icecream even in the coldest of winter days. So no wonder why I wanted to make one. Though Mango is one of my most favorite of fruits, it is not my favorite when it comes to ice cream flavors. I love chocolate, coffee, butterscotch flavors better. However I would never pass on an opportunity to enjoy a mango ice cream once in a while. This ice cream does not just stop with a simple mango flavor. The flavor gets a boost with the addition of the saffron. Saffron lends itself nicely to both the color and flavor of the ice cream. Mango flavor + Kesar flavor = A wonderful marriage of flavors. With just 5 ingredients, it is not at all hard to make this mango ice cream, however it is definitely harder to wait until it is set 😉 You don't even have to wait for the start of mango season to make this recipe. If you don't find fresh mangoes, you can as well substitute with frozen mango pulp and you get to enjoy this lovely ice cream all year round 🙂
Kesar Mango Ice Cream
- Ripe Mango - 1 Large Remove skin, seed and chop up the pulp
- Evaporated Milk - ¼ Cup
- Saffron - 1 Large pinch
- Sugar - 2 tsp adjust per taste
- Heavy whipping cream - 1 Cup
- First add ¾th of the mango pulp, evaporated milk, saffron, sugar to a blender/mixie and blend for about 2 mins until everything is turned into a smooth and fluffy paste.
- Now to a clean large mixing bowl, add the heavy whipping cream and beat it until stiff peaks. Refer to my >a href=https://revisfoodography.com/2015/01/birthday-special-eggless-black-forest-cake/ target="_blank">Back Forest recipe for tips and tricks for preparing whipped cream.
- To the beaten cream, add the beaten mango mixture and the remaining mango pulp. Mix it in a folding way using a spatula till they are blended.
- Freeze the ice cream for 2 hours. Then remove it from the freezer, stir it up fully using a fork and then freeze it again for a further 4 hours.
- Enjoy cold, optionally top with nuts/saffron strands/honey, etc.
Notes | FAQ
- You can substitute Evaporated milk + Sugar with Condensed milk, for a more rich and creamier ice cream. However condensed milk is very sweet and along with mango it would make the ice cream even sweeter. I don't like when it gets too sweet.
- I like chunks of mango in my ice cream. Hence I reserved ¼th of the mango pulp and added at the end. You can also just blend the whole mango pulp.
- Mango should be really ripe to get the best flavor.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar as per the sweetness of the mango.
- Adjust the quantity of milk and cream based on the size of the mango.
Sending this recipe to the First Blog Anniversary Celebration of Delectable Flavours.