My 145th recipe, "Microwave Palkova", a quick and easy version of the famous South Indian sweet. Palkova is a very famous and traditional South Indian sweet. While I am not very fond of it, RK loves it very much. He used to say that he loves the one they sell at Aavin and my FIL would buy it frequently for him during his childhood days.
The traditional way of making Palkova is to keep boiling the milk for hours until you are left with the thick milk solids. That is how my mom and MIL used to prepare. But these days I do not have the time or patience to keep standing for hours to prepare an authentic palkova. But that doesn't mean that RK does not get to enjoy one of his favorite sweet.
There are basically 2 shortcut methods I have learnt to make a microwave palkova in less than 5 mins. Since this microwave palkova method is comparatively healthier using a non fat Dry milk and 2% fat milk compared to the other method using condensed milk, thought of posting this first. Though the taste won't match the authentic one made by reducing milk for hours, this microwave palkova surely will be loved by anyone who tries it 😉
- 1 Cup Dry Milk powder (I used non fat Dry Milk)
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tbsp Sugar (Adjust per taste)
- ¼ Cup Milk (I used 2% fat milk)
- 1 large pinch Cardamom Powder
- First take a large microwave safe bowl, add all the ingredients listed above. Mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Microwave for 4 mins until you get the palkova consistency. But after every 30 secs remove the bowl from the microwave. Mix the contents well with a fork and return back to the microwave. When you are pulling the palkova out for the last time when it is about to reach the consistency, add the cardamom powder and mix well before returning back to the microwave.
- Refrigerate for 1 min and enjoy. Best served at room temperature.
Notes | FAQ
Sending this recipe to the First Blog Anniversary Celebration of Delectable Flavours.
Quick version is easy and yummy!