My 259th recipe,"Healthy Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup", a one pot homemade soup. It is really a shame that it took me this long to post my first soup for this winter. After learning how easy and delicious homemade soups can be, I started making a lot of soups both during the winter and summer last year. However, this time around I got a little indulgent with the holidays and treated myself to a lot of delicious appetizers/snacks and completely forgot to make myself some soup. It could also probably be because this year's winter is not as harsh as the last year. But better late than never, decided to make myself a bowl of warm soup.
Sweet Potato is a veggie which I love to have in the form of fries and pudding. Since it has a nice natural sweetness and creaminess, I knew that it would make a great healthy soup. All I had to decide was the perfect seasoning for the sweet potato. I wanted to try something unique and not the usual stuff. Though I do not personally love it, I know that peanut butter is a favorite for most of the folks including RK. What could be better than a salty peanut flavor along with the sweet potato ?
Ever since I used coconut milk in the cauliflower soup, I love using it in soups. It makes the whole soup light and imparts a lot of flavor and health benefits. And thus I decided to combine all these idea sparks to make the most flavorful Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup. The soup itself is naturally sweet, nutty, salty and spicy. A perfectly balanced blend of flavors that makes you enjoy every spoonful of the soup. You will never regret your decision to eat healthy 🙂
Healthy Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
- 1 tsp Oil
- ½ medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 2 medium Sweet Potato (peeled and chopped)
- ¼ tsp Red chilli flakes (adjust per taste)
- ½ tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cups Water
- 3 Tbsp Peanut Powder (*refer notes)
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- First heat a large pan with oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-1.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-2.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" />
- Now add the chopped sweet potato. Give a quick toss. Add the red chilli flakes, salt and mix well. Add the cinnamon stick, water, give another quick mix. Leave the sweet potato to cook in medium flame until done. Turn off the flame and let the mixture come to room temperature.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-3.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-4.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" /><br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-5.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-6.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" />
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a blender/mixie. Add the peanut powder, maple syrup and blend until smooth.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-7.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-8.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" />
- Transfer the soup back to the pan. Add the coconut milk and mix well. Heat on medium flame until soup is warm. At this stage you can taste the soup and adjust spiciness and salt. Turn off the flame.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-9.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/spsoup-10.jpg" alt="soup" width="48%" />
- Serve warm with a garnish of roasted peanuts.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sweet-potato-soup-1.jpg" alt="sweet potato soup" width="100%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sweet-potato-soup-2.jpg" alt="sweet potato soup" width="100%" />