My 23rd recipe, "Coconut Rice (Thengai Sadam)", a quick and flavorful South Indian variety rice. To be honest, not one of my favorite recipes. I generally prefer to have rice with any South Indian gravy (kuzhambu) for lunch. But this recipe is one of my mom's favorite and she used to prepare this frequently.
It is kind of a tradition in my house to prepare variety rice on Margazhi month Saturdays and offer it to Lord Balaji. So thought that it would be apt to post this recipe today 🙂 Thought of sharing a quick health fact :- Coconut is rich is protein and various vitamins and minerals, especially manganese. Including coconut or coconut oil in diet, in appropriate quantities, helps protecting us against multitude of ailments like ulser, kidney stones, etc; as well as in maintaining our skin health.
- ¾ Cup Raw Rice
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 2 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Chana dal
- ½ tsp Broken Urad dal
- 8 Cashews
- ¼ tsp Jeera
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chilli (slit)
- 1 inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 Cup Grated Coconut
- First, Cook the rice along with ½ tsp salt. Keep it aside and bring it to room temperature.
- Now heat a pan with oil, add the mustard, let it splutter, and then add all the ingredients starting from chana dal to ginger in the given order.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/crtadka.jpg" alt="coconut" width="48%"> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/crginger.jpg" alt="coconut" width="48%">
- Then set the flame to low-medium and Saute them till there color changes to golden brown.Now add the grated coconut and saute for 1 minute and turn off the flame.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/crcoconut.jpg" alt="coconut" width="48%"> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/crmixture.jpg" alt="coconut" width="48%">
- Add the cooked rice and ½ tsp salt and mix thoroughly.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/crmix.jpg" alt="coconut" width="48%"> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/crdone.jpg" alt="coconut" width="48%">
- Enjoy with pickle.<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/coconut-rice-2.jpg" alt="coconut rice" width="100%">
Notes | FAQ
Submitted this recipe to the event Anyone Can Cook Fabulous Vegetarian Food!, hosted by Catherine .