My 65th recipe, "Coconut Chutney", a wonderful South Indian side. I bet you would have tasted, heard or seen this chutney for atleast a few thousand times in your lifetime. I am not over exaggerating here. This is probably the most famous of all chutneys and goes well with almost all savory South Indian breakfast dishes. Dosa, Idli, Upma, Pongal... and the list is endless. There are two things I love about this chutney. The sweet juicy flavor of the coconut in this chutney and the fact that I can whip it up in a matter of minutes. Enjoy the wonderful recipe here and do look out for the "Tips to select a good coconut" after the notes section.
- ¾ Cup Fresh Coconut (Small pieces / grated)
- ¼ Cup Pottu Kadalai | Roasted Gram
- 1 Green Chilli
- Water - As needed
- ¼ tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard
- ½ tsp Broken urad dal
- ½ tsp Jeera
- 4 Curry leaves
- First take the coconut pieces in mixie along with little water and grind coarsely.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind1.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind2.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" />
- Then add the roasted gram, chilli, salt, sufficient water and grind to a fine paste. Transfer to a serving bowl.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind3.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind4.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" />
- Heat a pan with oil and add the mustard. Once it splutters, add the other items given under "To temper" in the given order. Saute until they turn golden brown. Transfer the contents to the serving bowl and mix nicely.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-tadka1.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-tadka2.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" />
- Enjoy as a side for idli, dosa, pongal, etc.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/coconut-chutney-1.jpg" alt="coconut chutney" width="100%"/>
Notes | FAQ
Submitted this recipe to Remmy's Kitchen First blog anniversary celebration and giveaway.