My 64th recipe, “Semiya Upma (Vermicelli Upma)”, a quick south Indian breakfast. Needs just one pot, easy to make and would not take more than a few minutes. I frequently make this for breakfast, as it is a favorite of both RK and myself. I would probably call this dish a South Indian version of Pasta.
In this recipe, the cute little threads of vermicelli taste wonderful with the addition of just few basic Indian spices and you can never go wrong. But whenever I have more time, I use this basic recipe as a canvas for my creativity. It is so versatile that I try lots of variations in this dish by adding veggies and other interesting flavors. So, don’t worry in case you are hungry. Remember that can always make this upma in no time 😉
Semiya Upma is a versatile, healthy, quick and easy breakfast recipe made with vermicelli. Goes well as a breakfast with any spicy chutney or sambar.
- Roasted Vermicelli - 1 Cup
- Onion - 1/2 Large Sliced
- Water - 1 Cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp adjust per taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Chana Dal - 1 Tbsp
- Broken urad dal - 1 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilli - 2 Slit
- Curry leaves - 6 leaves
- First heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard and let it splutter. Then add all the other items mentioned under "To temper" in the given order.
- Once the dals turn golden brown, add the onions and saute until they are translucent.Add the water, salt and give a quick stir.
- Wait until the water just starts to boil. Add the vermicelli to the pan and mix nicely.
- Cook covered in low-medium flame for 2 mins or until the vermicelli is cooked through.
- Enjoy hot along with any chutney.
- Water quantity and cooking time may vary based on the size of pan and stove settings. Adjust accordingly.
Submitted this recipe to Remmy’s Kitchen First blog anniversary celebration and giveaway.