My 139th recipe, "Celery Soup with Lemon and Basil", a refreshing and healthy soup. Winter maybe over and the Spring temperatures might seem to you like Summer has already arrived. However that doesn't mean that you should do away with your soup. I may not have said the same if you had asked me maybe 1 year ago. But ever since I tasted my first homemade soup, I have become a fan of easy and healthy homemade soups. This celery soup which I have made today, is a very light and bright soup. With the addition of the lemon and fresh basil flavors the soup tastes really refreshing and perfect for both a cold or warm day. Celery is a extremely healthy vegetable which is low in calories and high is fiber and when being made into a soup, it can hugely benefit people who are trying to lose weight. One common issue for cooking with celery is that you don't get a single stalk in the super market. So, folks who buy celery to make a pasta or other dish, will use one or two stalks and always will be left with a whole bunch of celery stalk. This easy celery soup is the best way to put those leftover celery stalks to use without wasting and throwing them away. It would be the best way to respect our mother earth on this Earth Day 🙂
- Olive Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Onion - ½ Medium Chopped
- Garlic - 3 Cloved Chopped
- Celery Stalk - 6 Chopped
- Potato - 1 small diced
- Salt - ½ tsp adjust per taste
- Freshly ground pepper - ½ tsp adjust per taste
- Lemon extract - ½ tsp
- Water - 3 Cups
- Lemon Zest - From ½ a lemon
- Basil leaves - 2
- First heat a large pan with oil. Add the onion, garlic and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the chopped celery stalk, potato and give a quick mix. Add the salt, pepper and continue to saute for 3 mins until a nice aroma arises.
- Add the lemon extract, water and cook in low-medium flame until the veggies are fully cooked. You can cook covered to fasten the process. It took me about 30 mins.
- Turn off the flame and let the veggies get completely cooled down. Transfer the veggies to a blender/mixie, add the basil leaves and lemon zest and grind it coarse.
- Transfer the soup back to the pan on medium flame and cook for a couple of mins until it is warm.
- Enjoy warm or chilled.
Notes | FAQ
- Adding basil at the end helps retain its fresh flavor. If you don't like that flavor, you can add the basil leaves while the veggies are cooking. You will then have a milder basil flavor.
- While transferring the soup back to the pan in the last step, optionally, you can add fresh cream or half n half for a more creamier soup.
Sending this recipe to the First Blog Anniversary Celebration of Delectable Flavours.