My 83rd Recipe, "Carrot Rice (aka Carrot Sadam)", a healthy South Indian rice dish. While I prefer having steamed rice with a hot and spicy South Indian gravy for lunch, RK prefers South Indian Variety rices. So I try to make different kinds of variety rices from the South Indian cuisine for lunch, so that I can also enjoy and not get bored of.
One such wonderful and healthy recipe is this Carrot rice. I love it since it does not take me a very long time to prepare this. Eventually less time standing in my kitchen preparing lunch 🙂 This is also a great way to use up any left over rice you might have in your refrigerator. But the important point is that, you can make your kids eat their veggies.
Mixing the carrots with the rice gives it a nice bright color and I always enjoyed this when I was a kid and would return back home with an empty lunch box. My mom used to make this frequently for my lunch during my school days. Instead of eating this rice immediately after preparing, it would taste better after a few hours, once the flavors gets a chance to be absorbed by the rice. Carrots are high in vitamin A, a nutrient essential for good vision for your kids. So, there is absolutely no reason why you should not make it for your Kid's lunchbox for tomorrow 😉
Some of my other quick, easy and healthy variety rices for you to try: Coriander Rice, Coconut Rice, Lemon Rice
- ¾ cup Rice
- 1 cup Carrot - 1 Grated
- ½ medium Onion - ½ medium Sliced
- leaves Cilantro - for garnishing
- tsp Salt - ½ Adjust per taste
- tsp Oil - 1
- tsp Mustard - ¼
- tsp Chana dal - ½
- tsp Broken urad dal - ½
- tsp Jeera - ¼
- Dry red chilli - 2
- tsp Asafoetida - ¼
- Cashew - 6
- leaves Curry - 1 sprig
- Green chilli - 1 slited
- Garlic - 3 pods sliced
- tsp Ginger - 1 Finely chopped
- Raisin - 10 optional
- First cook the rice with ¼ tsp salt and bring it to room temperature.
- Heat a pan with oil, add the mustard and once it splutters, add the other ingredients listed under "To temper" in the given order and saute until the raisins puff-up.By this time the dal, jeera and cashews will turn golden brown.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-1.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-2.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" />
- Now add the onion, remaining salt and saute till the onion turns translucent. Then, add the carrot and saute until it turns pale in color or until it is dry enough. Turn off the flame. Add the cilantro leaves.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-3.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-4.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" /><br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-5.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-6.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" />
- Add this prepared mixture to the cooked rice and mix thoroughly.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-7.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-8.jpg" alt="carrot" width="47%" />
- Enjoy with any spicy side dish or appalam / chips.<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/carrot-rice-1.jpg" alt="carrot rice" width="100%" />
Notes | FAQ
Submitted this recipe to Remmy's Kitchen First blog anniversary celebration and giveaway.
I tried this carrot rice today very easy to make and delicious and yummy and colourful with veggies carrot thanks
Thanks Geeta 🙂