My 30th recipe, “Coriander Rice (Kothamalli Sadam)”, a simple and healthy South Indian variety rice, to continue the tradition of preparing variety rice on Margazhi Saturdays for Lord Balaji. This also doubles up and helps me keep up with my New Year resolution for the second day. It is the most healthy dish you could possibly prepare. Coriander and Ginger are a rich source of fiber, all essentials nutrients, minerals and vitamins. They are known to benefit the whole body and cure almost all diseases known and unknown to mankind 🙂 Will help you recover from all the sugar attack during the holidays and New Year celebrations.
Coriander Rice (Kothamalli Sadam)
A traditional, quick and easy south Indian Coriander Rice (Kothamalli Sadam) recipe to enjoy the numerous health benefits of coriander leaf and ginger.
- Rice - 3/4 Cup
- Coriander Leaves - 1 Cup - 1 Cup
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Green Chilli - 2
- Onion - 1/2 small (Finely Sliced)
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Salt - 1 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Chana dal - 1 Tbsp
- Broken Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Cashews - 8
- Jeera - 1/4 tsp
- First, Cook the rice along with 1/2 tsp salt. Keep it aside and bring it to room temperature.
- Grind the coriander leaves, ginger and green chillis into a thin paste (add required amount of water) in a mixie / blender.
- Heat a pan with oil and add the mustard followed by other items listed under "To Temper" one by one, after the mustard splutters. Now, add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the coriander paste and remaining 1/2 tsp salt to the pan and reduce the flame to medium. Cook until the raw smell of the coriander leaves changes. It should take about 3-4 mins.
- Now, turn off the flame. Add the cooked rice to the pan and mix nicely until combined well.
- Enjoy hot with papad.
-In case of using left-over cooked rice from the fridge, in step 5, you can add it to the coriander mixture and saute for a few minutes in low flame until the rice heats ups.
- I had used 1/2 the salt while cooking rice and remain salt to the coriander mixture.