My 37th recipe, “Lemon rice”, a bright and tangy rice dish, in continuation of posting variety rice dishes on Margazhi month Saturday. This is probably one of the best dishes suited for a lunch box or picnic. Rather than having this dish immediately after preparing, it would be better for it to rest in the lunch box until noon. When you open the lunch box at noon, all the tanginess from the lemon, spiciness from the chillis and other flavors would be absorbed by the rice, and it would taste wonderfully delicious. Though this is one of my favorite dishes, during initial days RK was not a huge fan of lemon rice and I was not able to prepare this frequently in my Kitchen. But now-a-days he too has falling in love with this yummy dish and I am super happy to make this frequently 🙂
Want to transform left over rice into something delicious ? Try this bright and tangy Lemon rice. Lemon Extract tempered with aromatic spices.
- Lemon - 1 medium (extract the juice)
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Chana Dal - 1 Tbsp
- Broken Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Cashew - 6
- Jeera - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 6
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Rice - 3/4 Cup
- Coriander leaves - Optional for garnishing
- Cook the rice along with 1/4 tsp salt and bring it to room temperature.
- Now heat a pan with oil; add the mustard, let it splutter and then add chana dal, broken urad dal. Once they start changing the color, add the cashews, jeera, curry leaves, asafoetida, red chilli and give a quick stir.
- Now add the turmeric, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup of water and give a quick stir. Lower the flame to low-medium and wait until the water evaporates and we get a thick sauce consistency. Finally, add the extracted lemon juice, wait until you see small bubbles (about 30 secs) and turn off the flame.
- Add the prepared sauce to the cooked rice and mix thoroughly.
- Enjoy hot with any spicy side dish.
- Extract the lemon juice without adding water. I got about about 3-4 Tbsp of juice.
- Roll the lemon first on a hard surface under your palms. Then cut the lemon and extract the juice. By doing so, you will be able to extract the juice easily.
- After adding the lemon juice, do not keep in flame for long time.
- Optionally you can add peanuts instead of cashews. It would taste wonderful.