My 294th recipe, "Peas and Beetroot Pulao", an one-pot, quick, easy and delicious Indian pulao recipe made extremely healthy with the addition of green peas and beetroots. Made with a pressure cooker | Instant Pot.
I had again enjoyed a short break from blogging for the 2nd time in as many months. This time around I had been on a vacation to the Big Bend National Park. Since it was one of the least visited national parks, I did not fancy to have a great time there, especially with the summer weather. But to my surprise the night sky presented itself so beautifully on that day that it appeared to me that I was dreaming. I saw so many starts more than anything I have seen during my lifetime. In the end it was all worth the long drive and the week off from my regular posting schedule.
I had intended to post something special as a welcome back post. Every recipe I cook is special to me, but wanted something more closer to my heart. RK has a big sweet tooth and would be happy if I made a classic Indian sweet for him, just like the mysore pak made before the vacation. However, I felt that I have used my fair share of sugar in my last few recipes and decided to make something savory for today.
On the savory front, Pulao is a favorite in my household. Both myself and RK are big time fans of pulao and also biryani. While we has delicious food during the vacation, we certainly missed a good pulao for lunch. It now feels like it has been ages since we had a good pulao. So decided that it is time now to cut down on the pulao craving by making one today. As soon as I saw the beetroot sitting in my refrigerator, decided that it was going to be turned into a colorful beetroot pulao.
As I understand, it is about time that most of the schools in India have reopened after the summer vacations. I guess moms have already started looking for recipes that are suitable for kids. Something which is very easy to make in the morning. Something which is flavorful and enjoyed by kids. Something which is extremely healthy. To summarize in a word, the perfect lunch box recipe. This beetroot pulao perfectly meets the bill. Loaded with proteins and nutrients from the beetroot and peas, it is very healthy for your kids. Also, since this beetroot pulao is made in a pressure cooker, you don't need multiple pans or a long time for cooking. A win-win for both the mom and the kid 😉
Peas and Beetroot Pulao
Peas and Beetroot Pulao
- Basmati rice - 1 Cup
- Onion - 1 medium finely sliced
- Salt - 1 tsp adjust per taste
- Beet root - 1 Cup chopped
- Green Peas - ½ Cup
- Mint leaf - 10
- Turmeric powder - ⅛ tsp
- Jeera powder - ¼ tsp
- Water - 1 Cup
- Coconut Milk - ½ Cup
- Coriander leaf - for garnish
- Green chilli - 2 adjust per taste
- Garlic cloves - 3
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon stick - 1
- Bay leaf - 1
- Star Anise - 1
- Cloves - 3
- Cardamom pods - 2
- Cashews - 6
- First wash the rice and leave it to soak in luke warm water for about 30 mins. Chop and keep the veggies aside.
- Add all the ingredients listed under "For paste" and grind to a very coarse paste. You can also crush it under mortar and pestle.
- Now, heat the ghee in the pan of a pressure cooker. Once hot, add all the other ingredients listed under "To temper" in the given order.
- Once the cashews start to turn slightly golden, add the sliced onion and give a quick mix. Add the ground paste to the onion and continue to saute until the onion turns slightly golden brown.
- Now, add the salt, chopped beet root, green peas, mint leaf and saute for about 1 min.
- Add the turmeric powder, jeera powder and mix well. Add the water, milk and mix well. Now add the soaked rice without any excess water.
- Mix gently. Cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 1-2 whistle or until done. Remove the lid of the pressure cooked once the pressure subsides and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with a side of raita and/or potato chips.