My 251st recipe, "Avocado Spring Roll", a delicious fusion snack / appetizer. I know that you all have been diligently trying to eat healthy since the New Year. So wanted to give you all a treat today, to appreciate your dedication 😀 Veg Spring Roll is one my all time favorite appetizer / snack. I order it every time I visit an Asian restaurant apart from making it frequently at home. I guess, it is the same case with most of you. Out of the 250 recipes I have posted so far, the Veg Spring roll recipe which I posted is by far the most popular recipe on the blog. Ever since, I have been wanting to make a few other variations of the fried spring rolls, specially for veggie lovers.
I first saw the name avocado egg roll on The Cheesecake Factory's menu. Since I was not sure if that was a vegetarian dish, I did not give it a try there. However, I knew that it would be a fantastic combination. How could it not be delicious ? Creamy avocados inside a crispy fried spring roll sounded heavenly to me, both taste wise and texture wise.
So, finally when I decided to give it a try today, I chose to make my version of an avocado filling with ingredients I usually put into my guacamole. The end result was a fusion child between the Mexican and the Asian cuisines. The outer layer of the avocado spring roll was perfectly hot and crispy. And the inside of the avocado spring roll was rich and naturally creamy because of the avocado. When served along with a dip of sour cream and hot sauce, everyone will truly be happy to have taken a big bite 🙂
Avocado Spring Roll
Avocado Spring Roll
- 16 Spring roll sheet
- 2 large Avocado
- 2 Tbsp Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Jalapeno (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro
- a few drops Lime extract
- ½ tsp Garlic salt (adjust per taste)
- Oil - for frying
- First follow the instruction given in the packet of the spring roll sheets for thawing the frozen sheets.According to my store bought frozen sheets, I made them to rest in room temperature for about 30 minutes and later covered with a clean damp cloth and left for another 15 mins.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/spring1.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/spring2.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" />
- Meanwhile, remove the pulp of the avocado and chop into small chunks. Add the chopped avocado to a mixing bowl. To the mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients (onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime extract, salt) and gently toss until everything is combined.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-1.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-2.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" />
- For sealing the spring rolls, prepare a paste by mixing the all purpose flour with water and keep aside.
- Now place the sheet on a clean flat surface. Place a spoon full of filling about 2 cms away from the corner of the sheet. Now pick up that corner and roll into a tight wrap around the filling. Once you roll till the center of the sheet, fold both right and left corners towards the center. Continue to roll. Once the roll comes to the opposite corner, brush the corner with the flour paste and stick the corner nicely to the roll. Make sure that there are no gaps in the roll.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-3.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-4.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-5.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-6.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-7.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-8.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" />
- Heat a pan with oil and once the oil is hot, drop the spring rolls one by one and fry until golden brown. Drain them on a paper napkin.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-9.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-10.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-11.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-12.jpg" alt="avocado" width="48%" />
- Enjoy hot with dipping sauce of choice.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-spring-roll-1.jpg" alt="avocado spring roll" width="100%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/avocado-spring-roll-2.jpg" alt="avocado spring roll" width="100%" />
Notes | FAQ
Just for reference. The below is the spring roll wrappers I used. It is not same as rice wrappers. This one is made from all purpose flour. It is similar to the Egg roll wrappers in US, which can be used as an alternative.
Image Source: Amazon.com
Traditionally Modern Food says
It s raining here and I m seeing ur pics ..u r tempting looks perfect
Oh yes Vidya, perfect to have during cool rainy days 🙂
Always love seeing the step-by-step pictures. …makes it so much easier to put together. These are my weakness, can't seem to look the other way. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Imma for such lovely comments 🙂