My 109th Post, "Urad Dal Thogayal (Paruppu Thogayal | Thuvaiyal)", a perfect side for Puliyodharai. As I had mentioned yesterday, the thing I love about warm weather is the chance to go outdoors. While enjoying the outdoors was the reason for half of the excitement, the other half of the excitement was because my mom always used to pack puliyodharai along with this delicious paruppu thogayal for lunch.
By the time we sit down for lunch, I would be always crazy hungry. The sight and smell of the puliyodharai and thogayal would be just what the doctor ordered for the occasion. There are different versions of paruppu thogayal using toor dal, chana dal, with and without coconut. However my mom always used to prepare this thogayal with urad dal as an accompaniment for puliyodharai. There is nothing to beat the delicious taste of a well made puliyodharai along with this wonderful thogayal. Simply YUM 😉
For the benefits of those who are not aware, "Thogayal" or "Thuvaiyal" is a kind of Chutney, which is much thicker in consistency and generally had as an accompaniment with rice.
Urad Dal Thogayal | Paruppu Thogayal | Ulundhu Thuvaiyal
Urad Dal Thogayal
- Urad Dal (Whole, Skinless) - ¼ Cup
- Dry Red Chilli - 3
- Coconut - ¾ Cup
- Tamarind - about ½ tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp (adjust as needed)
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Broken Urad Dal - ½ tsp
- Jeera - ½ tsp
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- First dry roast the whole urad dal until golden brown and keep it aside until it comes to room temperature.
- Then dry roast the red chillis for 30 sec and add it to the mixie along with coconut and tamarind.
- Add required water and pulse to a coarse paste. Now add the roasted urad dal and grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, add the mustard and once it splutters, add other ingredients listed under "To temper" in the given order.
- Once the urad dal turn golden brown, add the ground paste to the pan and saute for a few mins until it thickens and sticks together as a single ball.
- Enjoy as a side for rice dishes like Puliyodharai.
Leave a Reply