My 231st recipe, "One pot Healthy Pumpkin Pasta", a quick, easy and healthy pasta recipe. I believe it has been a long while since I made pasta at home. So decided to try making something different for today. I could not think of anything more seasonal than pumpkin. I have seen hoards of pumpkin already at the super market and thousands of pumpkin pie recipes on pinterest and Food network. Since there is only 1 week left for thanksgiving I guess everyone are bringing on their A-game and making some amazing recipes. While I love pies without any second thoughts, I wanted to try making something more healthier with all the seasonal flavors shining through it. While there can be numerous dishes on a thanksgiving table, felt that a healthy addition would be always welcome. Hence instead of making a traditional pumpkin pie with the pumpkin puree I purchased, I decided to make a healthy pumpkin pasta recipe. This pumpkin pasta is very skinny with the addition of stock instead of dairy and becomes naturally vegan. The pumpkin puree brings in natural creaminess to the pasta and the spices add a nice seasonal and festive touch to the pasta. All in all a quick recipe you can make in a short time and enjoy warm on any cold fall night 🙂
One Pot Healthy Pumpkin Pasta
One pot healthy Pumpkin Pasta
- Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Onion - ½ medium finely chopped
- Garlic - 4 finely chopped
- Red chilli flakes - 1 Tbsp adjust per taste
- Pumpkin puree - ½ Cup
- Water / Vegetable Stock - 3 Cups
- Salt - 1 tsp adjust per taste * refer notes.
- Nutmeg powder - a large pinch
- Cinnamon powder - a large pinch
- Ground cloves - a large pinch
- Ground ginger - a large pinch
- Lemon extract - 1 tsp adjust per taste
- Pasta - 2 Cups I used small shell pasta
- Pepitas Pumpkin seeds - for garnish (slightly roasted)
- Fresh herbs - for garnish
- First heat the oil in a large pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute until the onion turns translucent. Now add the red chilli flakes and saute for 30 secs until the raw smell is gone.
- Now add the pumpkin puree and continue to saute for 30 secs. Add the stock or water and give a nice mix.
- Add the salt, spice powders (nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, ginger), lemon extract and mix well. Add the pasta, give a quick mix and cook covered until the pasta is fully done. Mine took about 12 - 15 mins to cook. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with the roasted pepitas, fresh herbs and optionally with grated parmesan cheese. Serve hot.
Notes | FAQ
- I used small sized shell pasta for the recipe. Small size makes sure that it cooks quickly and with less liquid. You can however use any pasta. Do adjust the cooking time and quantity of cooking liquid accordingly.
- Optionally, add grated parmesan cheese at the end or while serving to enhance the flavor.
- Roasted Pepitas is optional to add as garnish. However it adds a nice color, texture and flavor to the pasta.
- You can also use pumpkin pie spice instead of adding the spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg) individually.