My 115th recipe, "Mixed Vegetable Soup (Indian Style)", a healthy and hearty soup for your family. The nasty cold and flu has stuck again. RK and myself are suffering from a severe cold for the last few days. While RK refuses to take antibiotics, he always says that Cold will get cured in 7 days if taking antibiotics and if not it will be cured in 1 week. Hmmm, a week of sneezing, coughing and complete irritation. Cold is indeed nasty and I hate it to the core. But I always believe in the line "food is medicine". So, this time around I wanted to show to RK that eating healthy and appropriate foods can help combat diseases. So today for lunch, I made a bowl of warm vegetable soup. The heartiness and healthiness that the vegetables bring to the table combined with the medicinal properties of the lovely Indian spices is just what was needed for the occasion. It was very filling, tasty and surely worked up its magic supplying all the fluids our bodies needed. Both of us are doing far better now 😉
Mixed Vegetable Soup
- Olive Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves Finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 small piece Finely chopped
- Onion - 1 small Finely chopped
- Potato - 1 small Chopped
- Carrot - 1 small Chopped
- Beans - 6 Chopped
- Turmeric - 1 small pinch
- Cumin Jeera Powder - ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp Adjust per taste
- Ground Pepper - 1 tsp Adjust per taste
- Water - 3 Cups Adjust as needed
- Tomato - ½ small chopped
- Fresh Coriander Leaves - 1 Tbsp Finely chopped for Garnish
- First heat a pan with oil and add the garlic, ginger. Saute for a minute. Then add the chopped onion and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Then add the chopped veggies (potato, carrot, beans) and saute for 2 mins.
- Now add the seasoning (turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper) and mix well. Saute for 1 min.
- Add sufficient water (about 3 Cups), give a stir and bring it to a boil. Once the water starts to boil, immediately turn the flame to low-medium, add the tomato and continue to cook until the veggies are fully cooked. Once the veggies are fully cooked, turn off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Notes | FAQ
- Add veggies of your choice. Cabbage, mushrooms, etc will go well.
- Chop the tomato into large cubes so that it doesn't get mashed out while cooking.
Am a novice and tried once. Everyone in the family liked it. Happy to share that Today my wife has asked me to prepare it again ????
So happy to hear that Paras. Thanks for trying 🙂
Nice.. tried it today.. perfect, missing item "Bottle Goud" as recommended by some others was missing, added the same.
Sure thanks for trying 🙂