My 256th recipe, "Bean Burrito", an easy, portable and flavorful wrap. Though Mexican cuisine is among my favorite cuisines, my knowledge of Mexican foods only extends as far as the nearby Tex-Mex fast food chains like Taco Bell and limited to dishes like loaded potato griller and cheese quesadilla. Those are the two dishes which I frequently have, whenever I choose to have a quick dinner. I had to wait until my trip to New York to try a different kind of Mexican food. Since we had a really hectic plan for the day, we wanted a place to make a quick stop for lunch, yet needed something filling which will keep my hunger at bay.
And above everything, I needed to find a place which also served some vegetarian options. This was the first time I stepped into Chipotle to try their famous Burrito. For folks who are not familiar, Burrito is a Mexican wrap made with flour tortillas and your favorite fillings. I was very much hooked up with that concept, since it gave me the freedom to choose whatever I want on my burrito. Apart from the option of making it vegetarian easily, I was also very comfortable since I could skip on some of the ingredients which I do not prefer, like bell peppers.
Though I liked the concept and flavor, I do not like to have a burrito from outside. It is actually a silly reason for me to avoid it. The burrito I get outside is so huge that I find it difficult to tuck it into my small mouth. I have to really stretch for a decent bite. Hence I prefer making burritos at home which are just perfect. Bean Burrito is one of the most easiest dishes I prepare. Technically speaking it does not need much effort or cooking. All you have to do is to prep the ingredients and keep it ready. And when hungry, just add your favorite ingredients in the ratio you love, wrap it up and enjoy.
I wanted this bean burrito recipe to be just a thought starter. I had added ingredients I normally cook, keep in my refrigerator and those I love. I had posted the recipes for cilantro lime rice and Mexican style beans earlier on the blog as well. But there is no hard and fast rule that you have to stick with the same. You can be as creative as you want and come up with different flavor combos and healthy options. Apart from being a nice dinner option, this can also be packed for your kid's lunch box. On such days, you can be pretty sure that there will be no leftovers in your kid's lunchbox 🙂
- 1 Flour Tortilla (Burrito Size)
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro Lime Rice
- 3 Tbsp Mexican Style Beans
- 1 Tbsp Salsa (I used Tostitos Chunky Salsa)
- 1 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Shredded cheese (I used Kraft Mexican 4 Cheese)
- 2 Tbsp Lettuce (chopped)
- 1 Black olive (sliced)
- First, warm the flour tortilla on a tawa / flat griddle or microwave.
- Prepare the cilantro lime rice and Mexican style beans. Chop the veggies and keep the other condiments ready.
- Place the flour tortilla on an aluminium foil or plate. Place all the other ingredients listed at the center of the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla once and push all the filling ingredients inside. Fold both the sides of the tortilla towards inside. Now roll the burrito tightly making sure that the filling does not come out. You can refer to the pics for rolling.
- Serve immediately with an optional side of salsa.
Neli @ Delicious Meets Healthy says
Great idea for quick weeknight meals! Thanks for the recipe!
Thanks Neil 🙂
I love Mexican food and this looks super delicious dear! Beautiful clicks as always 🙂
Thanks Kushi 🙂