My 37th recipe, “Lemon rice", a bright and tangy rice dish, in continuation of posting variety rice dishes on Margazhi month Saturday. This is probably one of the best dishes suited for a lunch box or picnic. Rather than having this dish immediately after preparing, it would be better for it to rest in the lunch box until noon. When you open the lunch box at noon, all the tanginess from the lemon, spiciness from the chillis and other flavors would be absorbed by the rice, and it would taste wonderfully delicious. Though this is one of my favorite dishes, during initial days RK was not a huge fan of lemon rice and I was not able to prepare this frequently in my Kitchen. But now-a-days he too has falling in love with this yummy dish and I am super happy to make this frequently 🙂
- 1 medium Lemon (extract the juice)
- 2 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Broken Urad Dal
- 6 Cashew
- ¼ tsp Jeera
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 6 Curry Leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- ¾ Cup Rice
- Coriander leaves - Optional for garnishing
- Cook the rice along with ¼ tsp salt and bring it to room temperature.
- Now heat a pan with oil; add the mustard, let it splutter and then add chana dal, broken urad dal. Once they start changing the color, add the cashews, jeera, curry leaves, asafoetida, red chilli and give a quick stir.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrtadka1.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%"> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrtadka2.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%">
- Now add the turmeric, remaining ¼ tsp salt, ¼ cup of water and give a quick stir. Lower the flame to low-medium and wait until the water evaporates and we get a thick sauce consistency. Finally, add the extracted lemon juice, wait until you see small bubbles (about 30 secs) and turn off the flame.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrsauce1.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%"> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrsauce2.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%"><br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrsauce3.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%"> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrsauce4.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%">
- Add the prepared sauce to the cooked rice and mix thoroughly.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrrice1.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%"> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lrrice2.jpg" alt="lemon" width="48%">
- Enjoy hot with any spicy side dish.<br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/lemon-rice-1.jpg" alt="lemon rice" width="100%">
Thanks Sakina 🙂
I tried lemon rice very tasty and yummy thanks
So glad to here that. Thanks Geeta 🙂