My 134th recipe, "Jalapeno Corn Muffin (Vegan)", a sweet and spicy muffin. I always love to buy different ingredients and try different foods when visiting the local supermarket. On one such occasion when I visited my nearby Kroger supermarket, I saw those cute little cornbreads. They were small loaves and looked adorable. Since they contained eggs, I asked RK to give one of them a try. He said they were very delicious with a slightly sweet taste and a grainy texture. Different from the other breads or muffins he tasted so far. Ever since I wanted to try making an eggless version at home so that I can taste it too. However I did not want to do a copycat recipe, instead wanted to go big by adding little bit of jalapeno for an extra kick of spiciness. And also I wanted to have a difference in texture and believed that adding some sweet corn kernels would do the trick for me. The jalapeno corn muffin turned out perfect, just like I had hoped for. Slightly sweet, browned on the outside. The sweetness from the corn kernels and the spiciness from the jalapenos complimented very well with each other and it was truly yummy. An easy and delicious breakfast or snack ready within 30 mins 😉
Jalapeno Corn Muffins
- Flaxseed meal - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Milk - 1 Cup I used soymilk * Need to be at room temperature
- Melted butter vegan or regular / Oil - ¼ Cup
- Yellow Cornmeal - 1 ¼ Cups
- All purpose flour - 1 Cup
- Sugar - 4 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Jalapeno - 1
- Sweet corn kernels - ¼ Cup
- Olive Oil - as needed for brushing.
- First, add the flaxseed meal and water to a large bowl, mix well and keep aside for 2 mins. Meanwhile de-seed the jalapeno. Thinly slice half of the jalapeno and then finely dice the remaining half. Keep aside.
- By now the flaxseed meal and water would have turned slimy like egg. Add the melted butter / oil and milk. Use a fork or hand whisk and beat until frothy with bubbles forming on top.
- Now add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt to the wet ingredients. Fold until both the dry and wet ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix.
- Now add the sweet corn kernels, diced jalapenos to the batter and fold well until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease or line a muffin pan with olive oil. Fill ¾th of the muffin cups with batter. Top of each cup with a piece of sliced jalapeno.
- Bake for about 25 mins until the muffin is cooked through.
- Enjoy warm.
Notes | FAQ
- Adjust the baking time as per your oven settings. Inserting a toothpick at the middle of the muffin should come out clean.
- Flaxseed meal is a substitute for egg. If you are not a vegetarian, you can replace Flaxseed meal + water with 1 Large egg.
- I used fresh jalapeno. You can also use the pickled one.