My 228th recipe, "Fruit and Nut Ladoo", a healthy Indian Diwali sweet recipe. I had started preparing snacks and sweets for Diwali from last week. I wanted to wrap up my Diwali preparations by making something healthy. While it is not wrong to gorge upon sweets during diwali, it is always not needed to be in that way. We can always make healthy snacks/sweets too, if we wish. This fruit and nuts ladoo is particularly rich in iron and has all the other health benefits you need as well.
It just has the natural sweetness from the dates, raisins and with no added sugar, it surely is a wonderful addition to the list of sweets I make. The dates adds a nice chewiness to the ladoo, while the nuts add a nice texture and together makes this easy dessert super delicious. In case, you are still looking for recipes for preparing sweets for this Diwali, then jump on to this opportunity, as this is the perfect one you can make in no time 😉
"Happy Diwali" to all my friends who are celebrating. Diwali is the Indian festival of lights, usually celebrated in the month of October or November. It signifies the victory of good over evil. Just like most of the other Hindus, this festival is one of my most very favorite and close to my heart. Year after year, my mom would wake me up very early in the morning on this day. But anyways I would be only half asleep, since I myself would be eagerly awaiting the sun to rise.
Just before sunrise, my mom would do a small pooja by placing gingelly oil, shikai (a powder which is used as shampoo), turmeric powder and new dresses before the lord and offer him prayers. Then we would apply the oil to our hairs and quickly I would take my bath and be the first person to happily wear my new dress. Then the rest of the day will be filled with bursting crackers, sparklers, good food, sweets, more pooja and basically everything which is fun. Truly a memorable day to celebrate with your family and friends.
Fruit and Nut Ladoo
Fruit and Nut Ladoo
- 15 Pistachio
- 10 Almonds
- 10 Cashews
- 25 Dates
- 2 Tbsp Raisins
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1 large pinch Cardamom Powder
- First chop the pistachio, almonds, cashews finely and keep aside. It measured a little more than ¼ cup for me. Also, deseed and roughly chop up the dates.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-1.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-2.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" />
- Add the roughly chopped dates and raisins to a blender/food processor/mixie and pulse 2 to 3 times until it is finely chopped.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-3.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-4.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" />
- Heat a pan with ½ tsp of the ghee and roast the chopped nuts until a nice aroma arises and cashews turn golden. Transfer it to a plate and keep it aside.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-5.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-6.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" />
- To the same pan, add the remaining 1 ½ tsp ghee and the dates, raisin mixture. Saute for about 2-3 mins until the dates soften.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-7.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-8.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" />
- Now, add the chopped and roasted nuts, cardamom powder to the pan and mix well until combined. Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool down.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-9.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-10.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" />
- Once the mixture cools down, slightly grease your palms and make small balls out of the mixture.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-11.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fnladoo-12.jpg" alt="ladoo" width="48%" />
- Store in an airtight container in room temperature and enjoy.
<br><br><img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fruit-nut-ladoo-1.jpg" alt="fruit nut ladoo" width="100%" /> <img src="//revi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fruit-nut-ladoo-2.jpg" alt="fruit nut ladoo" width="100%" />