My 222nd post, a Quick and Easy Apple Crumble Recipe with Walnuts, a delicious fall breakfast and also perfect to serve as an easy dessert. By definition, a crumble is a dish that contains fresh fruit with a streusel-like topping that gets baked until the fruit is cooked.
A delicious apple layer covered with a crumbly topping and baked until golden delicious is my kind of a dish, makes me eagerly wait for the apple season each year.
Though an apple a day keeps the doctor away, it is not a favorite fruit for either me or RK. You will very rarely see us eat an apple just like that. When I do puja at home, I tend to buy apples to offer to God. And at times like now, when there are many back to back pujas, I end up with lots of apples in my refrigerator.
The best way I would be able to complete those apples would be to make it into one of my delicious apple recipes. Mostly it will be apple desserts like - Apple Halwa or an Apple Cobbler or Apple Pie or this delicious apple crumble .
Most of the times I stick with my savory dishes like idli, dosa, etc for breakfast. However once in a while, especially on weekends, I crave for a sweet breakfast which needs just a short effort. At such times, this best apple crumble recipe is my go-to choice.
This apple crumble has the most delicious apple filling and a crisp crumble topping. And the only major effort in this recipe is to slice the apples for the fruit filling. Apart from that there is no real secret ingredients. It is just mixing everything together and dumping into the oven until done.
When you pull it out of the oven, you will find the tender baked apple being elevated to the next level. With the fragrance from the warm cinnamon apples, the slight tang of the lemon juice and the sweetness of the sugar.
The walnut topping bakes to be nicely crisp and is just what the doctor ordered for the occasion, complimenting nicely with the tender apples. And even more fun would be to enjoy this apple crumble recipe as a dessert pairing it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Life cannot get any better than enjoying a bowl of warm apple crumble alongside a pool of melted vanilla ice cream 😉
Apple Crumble Recipe
Apple Crumble with Walnuts
- 4 Apple large
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Corn starch
- ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
Topping Ingredients (Crumble Ingredients)
- ½ Cup All purpose flour
- ½ Cup Chopped walnuts
- ¼ Cup Dark brown sugar tightly packed
- Salt a large pinch
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted butter (cold)
- First, add the all purpose flour, chopped walnuts, brown sugar, salt in a mixing bowl and mix well until combined.
- Chop the cold butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or knife or fork or fingers and gently cut the butter into the flour mixture. Mix until the flour mixture looks like a coarse sand. Refrigerate until needed.
- Wash, peel, core and slice the apples to about ⅛ inches thick. Until all apples are done, you can keep the sliced apples in cold water to prevent colorization. Add the apple slices to a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, lemon juice, corn starch and ground cinnamon to the large bowl. Mix well until all dry ingredients are coated uniformly over the apple slices.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 F. Transfer the apple mixture to a greased baking dish. Spread it out as an even layer. Add the crumble on top of the apple layer and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 45 mins in the lower rack of the preheated oven until the apple slices are nicely cooked and the top is golden brown.
- Leave it to rest for 10 mins and optionally enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or even caramel sauce
Katie @ 24 Carrot Life says
I can tell we would be friends because I love the crumble part the best and this recipe has so much of it. YUM!
Thanks for your lovely comments Katie. I too love the crumble part and just can eat it by the spoonful 🙂
Michelle Chavez says
Oh wow!! It looks absolutely delicious!!! And I loved the step by step pictures! Thanks for sharing, I will try to make it for Thanksgiving! 🙂
Thanks Michelle for your nice comments. Sure you must try. Hope you love it just like me 🙂
There's not much better comfort food wise than a large portion of homemade apple crumble. This looks so good
Thanks Paul 🙂