My 293rd recipe, “Sweet Lassi”, the ultimate refreshing drink for the Summer. Have you lost a lot of sweat and energy to the hot summer sun, and looking for a quick and healthy drink to replenish yourself ? This Sweet Lassi is the perfect choice for you.
As I had already pointed out in one of my earlier posts that, my mom had several tricks to keep us cool and hydrated during hot summer months. When I was in the mood for something spicy, it was usually the Neer Mor, the Spicy Buttermilk. Perfectly aromatic, quenches your thirst as well as boosts your energy. However, if I was not in the mood for something spicy, then it would be the turn of this Sweet Lassi. Made with yogurt and equally delicious and refreshing.
If you do not know already, Yogurt is a wholesome food and it is must to include it part of your everyday diet. Apart from being rich in essential Vitamins, Yogurt is very rich in good-for-you bacteria. Probiotics, as they are referred to as, are beneficial bugs that live in your digestive tract and help crowd out harmful microorganisms that can cause intestinal infections. It is also rich in proteins and Vitamin B12, which is really important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Especially with vegetarians, when the sources of Protein and Vitamin B12 are really limited.
There is nothing much fancy with this sweet lassi recipe. It is just whisking yogurt with milk or water to thin it down, adding sugar for sweetness and flavoring it up with aromatic rose essence and cardamom powder. I had to make this with a electric whisk. However, traditionally the lassi is prepared by beating yogurt in a earthen pot, with a special wooden whisk until nicely light and frothy. However simple this recipe may look like, it is surely one of the most delicious drinks which you could slurp on 😉
Sweet Lassi is an easy Indian Summer Drink made with yogurt and flavored with cardamom powder and rose essence. Perfect for the hot summer days.
- Yogurt - 1 1/2 Cup (Chilled)
- Milk | Water - 1/2 Cup (Chilled)
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp (adjust per taste)
- Rose essence - 3 drops
- Cardamom powder - 1 large pinch
- Chopped Pistachio - as needed
- Chopped Almonds - as needed
- Saffron strands - as needed
- Add all the ingredients listed above (except "For garnish"), to a large mixing bowl. Beat nicely using an hand/electric whisk, until frothy.
- Transfer to serving glass, add the garnish and serve cold.
- Addition of rose essence is optional and as per your taste.
- Alternatively, instead of using a whisk, you can also pulse the lassi in a mixie/blender.
- Yogurt should not be sour for making lassi.