My 80th recipe, “Veg Quesadilla”, my most favorite food from the wonderful Mexican cuisine. When I first moved to US, it was very tough for me to adapt to the various other cuisines available here. Until then I was used to only Indian cuisine at home. So for the first few months it was just cooking at home and hanging out at nearby Indian restaurant. But one fine day, when we came back late from shopping, there was no other option for me to eat, except for Taco Bell. RK ordered the Cheese Quesadilla for me there.
After having the first few bites, I absolutely loved it. I started scolding RK that he did not introduce me to this dish earlier. From then on, I have had this numerous times at the restaurant here. And since it is very simple to make, I always try to sneak it in once in a while in my dinner menu as well. I will then have the privilege to increase on the spiceness level and customize the filling based on my liking. And this time it was the wonderful combo of onions, mushrooms and bell peppers for RK and plain cheese quesadillas for me, heavy on cheese though 😉
Veg Quesadilla is a combination of cheese , sour cream and veggies like mushroom, bell peppers which stuffed inside soft tortillas. Grilled to perfection.
- Flour Tortilla - 2
- Bell Pepper - 1/4 medium (Chopped)
- Onion - 1/4 medium (Chopped)
- Mushroom - 2 (Chopped)
- Oil / Butter - 1 tsp
- Saltsmall pinch
- Pepperlarge pinch
- Sour Cream - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - As per taste
- Grated Cheese - 1/3 Cup (Mexican Blend)
- Cilantro - 1 tsp (Chopped) - For garnish
- Heat a pan with oil/butter and once hot, add the veggies and mix well. Add the salt, pepper and saute for 2 mins until the veggies are half done.
- Mix hot sauce to sour cream and keep it aside.
- Now heat a flat griddle or tawa, spray with oil/butter. Place one tortilla on a flat surface. Spread the sour cream+hot sauce mix on top of the tortilla.
- Layer the veggies on top of the sour cream. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the veggies.
- Cover with the other tortilla and transfer it to the hot griddle. Cook both sides until they are golden brown and the cheese inside has melted. Tranfer to a cutting board. Use a pizza cutter to cut them up. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream.
Enjoy with hot sauce / salsa / guacamole.
- Do not overcook the veggies. They should be slightly crunchy inside the quesadillas.
- When the quesadilla is cooking on the griddle, press it gently with a spatula on top.
Submitted this recipe to Remmy’s Kitchen First blog anniversary celebration and giveaway.