My 70th post, “Beetroot Kurma”, a Valentine’s Day inspired Indian gravy. It is that part of the year where all places are filled with pink and red. The lovely roses, strawberries, heart shaped balloons, and everything else that symbolizes love.
I wanted to jump onto Valentine’s day bandwagon at the earliest, by posting a few Valentine’s day inspired dishes. But was not interested to start with the same cakes and bakes. So wanted to try something from the Indian cuisine which is healthy and highlights the color of love.
I couldn’t think of any better vegetable than the wonderful beetroot. Soon took that inspiration and made a lovely Beetroot Kurma out of it. It was very easy to prepare and it tasted just as wonderful as it looks. Bright and vibrant 🙂
Beetroot Kurma, a bright, healthy One Pot Spicy Indian gravy made with beetroots. Perfect with any Indian Bread like chapati or even idli and dosa.
- Beet Root - 1 medium (Chopped)
- Onion - 1 small (Sliced)
- Tomato - 1 large (Chopped)
- Sambar Powder - 3/4 tsp (or 1/2 tsp red chilli powder + 1/4 tsp coriander powder)
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Water - 2 Cups
- Coconut - 3 Tbsp (chopped / grated)
- Fennel Seed - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilli - 1
- Cashews - 5
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Ginger - 1/4 inch
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 small
- Cardamom pods - 2
- Bay leaf - 1
- Fennel Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4
- Coriander leaves - 1 Tbsp (chopped)
- First grind the items mentioned under "To grind" to a smooth paste along with required water.
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker pan. Add the items mentioned under "To temper" to the cooker pan in the order given. Once the fennel seeds turn golden brown, add the onion and saute until golden brown.
- Add the chopped beetroot and saute for 1 min until combined.
- Now add the chopped tomato, salt and saute until the tomato turns mushy.
- Add the ground paste, sambar powder, garam masala and saute until the oil starts to ooze out.
- Add about 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook the kurma for 5 whistles. Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure subsides. Open the lid, garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or idli, dosa or indian breads.
- Adjust sambar powder quantity as per your liking.
- Adjust water quantity as per the quantity of beetroot you are cooking.
- Adjust cooking time as per the setting of your pressure cooker and stove.