My 58th recipe, “Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste”, a Kitchen essential. Initially, I was little hesitant to post this as a recipe. Yes, it is not a recipe as such, but Ginger Garlic paste is probably the most used paste in Indian cooking. Most of the dishes I prepare has the ginger garlic paste in it. My mom used to always prepare all the pastes and masalas needed for cooking on the same day. But now-a-days, in this ultra fast lifestyle, people do not have a lot of time available with them for cooking. I have seen many women purchase ready to use ginger garlic paste from the supermarkets. Though it is a quick fix, it is not healthy to use with all the added preservatives. This ginger garlic paste is very simple to make and keeps well in the refrigerator for well over a couple of weeks. You can just take a few minutes off your weekend to prepare this. The only thing to note is the ratio of the ingredients. With the paste in hand, the possibilities are endless. Some of the recipes that can be made using this paste and many more to follow.
Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste
Ginger Garlic Paste is a quintessential flavor component of Indian Cooking. Do not buy it readymade from store, instead learn how to make it easily at home.
- Ginger - 3/4 Cup
- Garlic - 1 Cup
- Green Chilli - 3 medium
- Water - 2 tsp
- First remove the skin of the ginger and garlic and chop the ginger into small pieces.
- Add the ginger to the blender/mixie and grind until it breaks down a little. Then add the garlic and green chilli and grind for another couple of minutes until you get a fine paste. Use upto 2 tsp of water while grinding.
- Transfer to a airtight container and refrigerate.
- Do not add too much water. Add water little by little just to assist with the grinding.
- Do not touch the ginger garlic paste with hand. Use a spoon while grinding and transferring to a container.