My 57th recipe, “Green Peas Masala”, a flavorful and protein rich side. Green Peas are nature’s own little protein supplements. Cute little green babies sleeping in their mothers womb. That’s how I feel whenever I get to see the fresh green peas. Now-a-days technology has improved and we get green peas all around the year in frozen packets. But when I was little, peas were seasonal, and we usually bought it fresh. When they were in season, I have vivid memories of lending my hands to my mom to get the peas out of their pods. On those occasions, my mom never failed to make this delicious green peas masala. Perfect with any Indian rice entree or bread.
Green Peas Masala
Green Peas Masala is a quick, easy and healthy side for Indian rice dishes and roti. It is basically green peas cooked in an onion and tomato based masala.
- Green Peas - 1 Cup
- Onion - 1 medium (Chopped)
- Tomato - 2 medium (Chopped)
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 3/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 3/4 tsp
- Water - 1 1/2 Cups
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- First heat a pan with oil. Add the fennel seeds and curry leaves and saute until the fennel seeds start changing color. Now, add the onions and saute until they are translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute until everything become golden brown in color.
- Now add the tomatoes, salt and saute until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the turmeric, red chilli, coriander powders and give a quick stir. Now, add the green beans and give a nice stir. Add the water and cook covered in medium flame.
- Once the peas are about 80% done, remove the lid. Add the garam masala powder, mix nicely, and cook for another couple of minutes until the peas are cooked fully.
- Serve hot with any rice dish or bread.
- I generally add the garam masala towards the end, to retain the best flavors.