My 98th recipe, "2 layer Chocolate Burfi", an easy to make Indian sweet. Do we even need a reason to enjoy a delicious Indian sweet. Definitely I don't need one. And if it has to do anything with chocolate flavor, you can be sure that, I absolutely love it and I can have it anytime. But for folks who need one, my 100th post is fast approaching. Just 2 more recipes to go. Hurray !!! Time for a little celebration.
While I am a huge fan of rasgullas, I don't mind an occasional milk sweet or burfi. However this burfi is a favorite of RK and my mom and today RK literally coaxed me into making this 2 layer Chocolate burfi. Burfi is nothing but milk solids / khoya / mawa cooked along with sugar. I would call it an Indian version of a fudge. However the good thing about this sweet is that, it is very easy to make and needs just a few ingredients. You can also customize it easily and incorporate any flavor you like. Once you make this sweet, you would never want to buy sweets from the stall again 🙂
2 layer Chocolate Burfi
- Unsweetened Khoya / Mawa (Concentrated Milk Solids) - 1 Cup
- Sugar - ⅓ Cup
- Rose essence - 2 drops
- Cardamom Powder - 1 small pinch
- Cocoa Powder - 1 tsp
- Ghee - ½ tsp
- Chopped Pistachio - For garnish
- First, bring the khoya to room temperature and crumble. Heat a pan in low-medium, add the crumbled khoya and sugar.
- Keep stirring continuously until combined well and you get a loose halwa like consistency.
- At this stage add the cardamom powder, rose essence and continue to keep stirring continuously.
- At a stage the mixture will tighten up and will form a ball. Turn off the stove. Transfer ¾ of the mixture to a separate plate and let it cool.
- Add cocoa powder to the remaining mixture and fold well until all the cocoa has blended well. Let the mixture cool down a bit until you will be able to handle with hand.
- Now, grease your palm with ghee and knead the white portion of the burfi nicely until you get a smooth ball. On a greased aluminium foil, spread it out into a ¼ inch thick rectangle using your fingers.
- Now, repeat the same with the chocolate portion of the burfi. Place the chocolate portion over the white portion and press gently. Sprinkle the chopped pistachios over the top and press them gently. Let the burfi cool down completely to room temperature, before cutting it into smaller cubes.