My 56th recipe, "Vegetable Pulav", another quick, easy and healthy rice entree from my kitchen. This is one of my very fond recipes. It is not because my mom used to prepare it frequently for lunch. It is not because it was made on festival days. Pulav was one dish which I used to taste very rarely. I could just vaguely remember having it a few times. Wondering how it then became a fond recipe ? Pulav was served in the few wedding receptions which I attended in Chennai.
Veg Pulav would always remind me of a modern Tamil Wedding Reception, with colorful and fragrant flower decorations, pleasant light music playing and a whole bunch of folks dancing around in a joyful mood. So when it was my turn to get married, I made sure that Veg Pulav was one of the special dishes in my Wedding Reception Banquet. A lovely dish and memories to cherish forever 🙂
- 1 Cup Basmati
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ inch Ginger
- 3 Green chilli
- ½ large Onion (sliced)
- 3 medium Carrot
- 10 Beans
- ¼ Cup Green peas
- 5 Cashews
- ¼ Cup Coconut Milk
- ¾ Cup Water
- 1 tsp Ghee (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- First grind the garlic, ginger and one chilli together into a coarse paste and keep aside. Wash and soak the rice for atleast 15 minutes.
- Heat the cooker pan with oil, add the cashews and roast them till their color changes to golden brown. Remove them from oil and keep aside. Chop the veggies to 1 inch pieces.
- Now to the same pan, add all the ingredients under "To Temper" in given order. When the fennel seeds starts to change its color, add the onion, ginger-garlic-chilli paste and the remaining two slit chillis. Saute until the onion color changes to golden brown.
- Now add the veggies (Carrot, beans, peas), salt and saute for 1 minute. Add the milk, ¾ Cup of water and give a quick stir.
- Finally add the rice, give a stir, close the lid and cook for 1 whistle or until the rice is done. Once the pressure totally subsides, open the lid, add the roasted cashews, a tsp of ghee and give a stir.
- Serve hot with any spicy gravy.