My 287th recipe, "Mango Rice Kheer (Indian Style Mango Rice Pudding)", a super delicious dessert perfect for the Summer. Do you love classic Indian desserts ? Do you love when there is a little twist and a little extra flavor ? How about something served cold perfect for the hot summer weather ? This Mango Rice Kheer is the perfect choice for you.
It is not officially summer here yet, however two of the most famous things of summer are already here. One is the hot weather and the next is my very favorite Mango. Mango is a summer fruit and I can vividly remember enjoying them at their peak during the months of May, June. My mom has been saying for the past month that there are lots and lots of mangoes available this year around in Chennai. However, I did not even see one until now at my Indian supermarket here. Last weekend when I was shopping, I was more than elated to see the first mango package of this season.
Usually, when I was spoilt for choice, I did not like all varieties of mangoes. I was picky and choosy and wanted only the best tasting ones like Banganapalli. However, I do not find those easily here. The ones which I found last week was a variety which was grown and imported from Mexico. However since it looked ripe and yummy, I didn't have any second thoughts in purchasing it. I think I made a good decision. These mangoes are so sweet, juicy and among the best I had tasted in the last couple of years. My blogging mind quickly turned on and instead of completing the mangoes as it is, it seduced me into making recipes with it for the blog.
Rice Kheer is a classic Indian dessert which is usually severed during many special occasions like marriages, etc. It is also very easy to make and requires just a couple of ingredients. That is probably one of the reasons why it features very frequently on Indian Buffets here. While I make payasam very frequently at home, I usually do not make rice kheer. I think unknowingly I had reserved it for a special recipe like today.
This Mango Rice Kheer is a Rice Kheer meets mango version and has everything you love about the rice kheer. The elachi n saffron flavor, the perfectly cooked bits of basmati rice and thick n creamy milk. It is rich, smooth and naturally creamy. And when you serve it cold, it becomes one of those dessert everyone would really love to have on a perfectly hot summer day. To me it might even score more than an ice cream 😉
If you are a Vegan, you can just make use of a Vegan milk like Almond milk in place of regular dairy milk. And without much effort and the use of complex ingredients, you get to enjoy a super delicious Vegan dessert.
Mango Rice Kheer
Mango Rice Kheer
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Tbsp Basmati Rice
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 pinch Cardamom powder
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Mango Puree
- Ripe Mango slices - as needed
- Slivered Almonds - as needed
- First add the milk to a heavy bottomed or non stick pan. Heat it in medium-low flame.
- While the milk is heating up, add the basmati rice to a mixie/blender and grind it coarsely. Use the pulse option of the mixie.
- Once the milk is slightly warm, add the basmati rice, saffron to the milk and cook until the basmati rice is fully cooked. Now add the cardamom powder to the milk mixture.
- Finally, add the sugar to the milk, mix well until dissolved. Turn off the flame and leave the mixture to come to room temperature.
- Once the milk mixture is cooled down, add the mango puree to the mixture and mix well until combined. Refrigerate until cold.
- Serve cold with a garnish of mango and almonds.
Notes | FAQ
- Use of heavy bottomed or non stick pan is a must for this recipe, to avoid burnt bottom. - Do not add the mango puree to the milk mixture while it is hot. The milk will curdle.