My 60th recipe “Mushroom Pepper Salt”, a quick and easy 6 ingredient flavor bomb. Mushroom is something I had not eaten before marriage. I was of the opinion that mushrooms are non-vegetarian due to their meaty flavor. After marriage, when RK had invited his friends home for lunch, he suggested to me to prepare a mushroom dish. He did enough convincing to make me believe that mushrooms are vegetarian and would be a crowd favorite.
Since I hadn’t cooked with mushrooms before, I tried to keep it simple by adding the asian flavors which I am comfortable with. You would not believe me. RK was absolutely right. Though there was gobi manchurian, fried rice, pizza and other dishes on the menu, this simple mushroom dish was a party stealer and everyone’s favorite. And mine too 😉
Mushroom Pepper Salt
Mushroom pepper salt is a simple mushroom appetizer | starter recipe infused with lots of asian flavors. Easy to make with basic ingredients.
- White button mushrooms - 10
- Garlic - 6 cloves very finely chopped
- Soya Sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar - 1/2 Tbsp
- Freshly ground pepper - 1 Tbsp Adjust to taste
- Salt - 1/2 tsp Adjust to taste
- Sesame Oil- 1 Tbsp
- First wash the mushrooms nicely under tap water to remove off the dirt and mud. Remove the stems from the cap. Slice the cap of the mushroom.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the finely chopped garlic and saute until they turn sligthly golden brown. Add the mushroom and give a quick stir.
- Add the soya sauce, vinegar, pepper and salt and mix nicely. Cook covered for 2 mins in medium flame.
- Remove the lid of the pan, turn the flame to high and fry until the mushroom is dry and nicely caramelized.
- Serve hot as an appetizer or a side with fried rice.
- Not all mushrooms are safe to eat. Take care while buying.
- No need of adding any additional water. Mushrooms will release water when cooked covered along with salt.
- Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Feel free to use the mushroom stems as well, if you are used to.
Submitted this recipe to Remmy’s Kitchen First blog anniversary celebration and giveaway.