Coconut Chutney is a versatile Indian chutney which serves as side for many breakfast dishes like dosa, idli, etc. Also learn tips to select a good coconut.
- ¾ Cup Fresh Coconut (Small pieces / grated)
- ¼ Cup Pottu Kadalai | Roasted Gram
- 1 Green Chilli
- Water - As needed
- ¼ tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard
- ½ tsp Broken urad dal
- ½ tsp Jeera
- 4 Curry leaves
First take the coconut pieces in mixie along with little water and grind coarsely.
<br><br><img src="//revisfoodography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind1.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" /> <img src="//revisfoodography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind2.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" />
Then add the roasted gram, chilli, salt, sufficient water and grind to a fine paste. Transfer to a serving bowl.
<br><br><img src="//revisfoodography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind3.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" /> <img src="//revisfoodography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-grind4.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" />
Heat a pan with oil and add the mustard. Once it splutters, add the other items given under "To temper" in the given order. Saute until they turn golden brown. Transfer the contents to the serving bowl and mix nicely.
<br><br><img src="//revisfoodography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-tadka1.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" /> <img src="//revisfoodography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cc-tadka2.jpg" alt="chutney" width="47%" />
Enjoy as a side for idli, dosa, pongal, etc.
<br><br><img src="//revisfoodography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/coconut-chutney-1.jpg" alt="coconut chutney" width="100%"/>
- Fresh coconut gives the best taste to the chutney.
- In case of using frozen grated coconut, thaw it first until it comes to room temperature before using.
Tips to select a good coconut:
- Coconut shell should be light golden brown in color. Should not be too dark.
- When you shake the coconut, you should be able to feel the water moving inside. If there is no water, then the coconut is probably already gone bad inside.
- When you lift the coconut, it should feel kind of heavy. You can also tap on the shell to confirm this. This will ensure that the coconut inside is nice and thick.