My 298th recipe, “Corn Fried Rice”, a simple, flavorful, healthy and colorful rice recipe. Perfect to make for a delicious weekend lunch or to pack for your kid’s weekday lunch box.
While fried rice is something which I make once in a while, it is really a hit or a miss in my house. RK loves the fried rice I make. I am however not such a huge fan since fried rice almost always has bell peppers in it and I am averse to its flavor. Bell peppers adds a lot of color, texture and flavor to the fried rice and hence I also do not feel comfortable skipping the bell pepper. To sum up, on a given day, if I am in good mood, I would enjoy a delicious fried rice along with RK. If not, I would keep painfully moving all the small bits of bell pepper from my plate to RK’s.
On the occasions whenever I make a fried rice, it would be usually with an assortment of veggies like carrot, beans and cabbage. That is how I remember tasting from restaurants too. However, when I visited a restaurant here for lunch a couple of week’s ago, they served corn fried rice as part of their lunch buffet spread. It appeared so colorful with yellow corns peeping out from the rice and Greens, Reds spread out everywhere. That was more than a good enough reason for me to give it a try. It appeared to be a simple dish but tasted so very delicious. I immediately kept in my mind that I should give this dish a try at my home.
With the summer officially starting here, sweet corn is available in abundance in my local supermarket. It is one of the perfect summer ingredients and perfect for grilling. I was happy to grab a whole bunch of sweet corns during my last week shopping spree. After using a couple of them in various curries and sides I had made in the last few days, I had reserved the last one to make this corn fried rice.
As I had mentioned, this corn fried rice is one of those rice entrees which you will be able to prepare in no time. Whether you like a leisure weekend lunch with less time spent in the kitchen or in a hurry to pack up lunch during the weekdays, this corn fried rice is the perfect choice for you. The sweet corn and the bell peppers adds a nice texture and sweetness to the fried rice. Usually I rely upon red chilli flakes or sriracha hot sauce to add spiciness to the fried rice. However this time around I was more than happy to stick around with just freshly ground black peppers. The little flecks of black pepper plays the perfectly folly to an already colorful dish. All in all a super simple and delicious corn fried rice which treats your eyes as well as your hungry tummy 😉
Corn Fried Rice
Corn Fried Rice is a simple, flavorful, healthy and colorful rice recipe perfect to make for delicious weekend lunch or pack for your kid's lunch box.
- Rice - 1 Cup
- Sesame Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Spring Onion - 5
- Garlic - 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Ginger - 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Sweet Corn - 1 (remove corn kernels from cob)
- Bell Pepper | Capsicum - 1 medium (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Soya Sauce - 1 tsp
- First, cook the rice based on your desired method and keep aside.
- Heat a large pan with oil and add the ginger, garlic and white part of spring onion. Saute until translucent.
- Add the corn, bell pepper, sugar and saute for a minute until veggie is half done.
- Now, add the salt, black pepper and soya sauce. Saute in medium until the mixture turns dry and the veggies are almost done.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan. Mix well until all the sauce and veggies gets coated with the rice. Saute for a minute and turn off the flame. Garnish with green part of spring onion.
- I used a combination of Red Bell pepper and Green Bell pepper for color.
- Do not overcook the corn and bell peppers. They should retain some of their crunch.