My 285th recipe, “Hashbrown Quesadilla”, combining two of my favorites into one quick, easy and delicious dinner. Are you into Mexican foods and love a basic cheese Quesadilla, just like me ? Are you a person who love to have hashbrown for dinner or for every meal of the day, just like me ? Then this fusion of both is certainly going to rank high on your books.
Whenever I am on vacations, I usually get to enjoy a delicious spread of Continental dishes for breakfast at the hotel. Potato Wedges are the usual suspect on the menu. However, on one occasion, to my surprise they had served hashbrowns for breakfast. While I have seen people making hashbrowns on the TV, that was the first time I ever got one into my mouth.
Since I am a fan of potatoes, (wondering who is not one ?? 🙂 ), it instantly had me hooked up. I especially loved how crispy the edges were and yet the center was tender and fell apart in my mouth. It was like one of those dishes which I could eat all day long.
While I had always wanted to make hashbrowns at home, I never had the right kind of tools or patience to have the potatoes shredded. I do not like purchasing stuff right from the freezer aisle from the super markets either. Hence hashbrowns turned out to be a rarity in my life, until recently, when I had come across a pack of Hungry Jack Hashbrowns.
On first looks they seemed to be like dehydrated potatoes and quickly thinking that I could turn it into a delicious hashbrown easily at home, I quickly grabbed some. They are available in different flavors including the new Black Pepper & Onion flavor. However, I settled my mind onto the Cheesy one.
Initially I was not too sure how the hashbrowns would turn out and whether they would come our perfect without falling apart. But to my surprise the hashbrowns turned out perfectly brown and crispy. It held together pretty well and it turned out to be one of the most easiest dishes I have made till date. A perfect ingredient to make a quick and easy dinner. I however did not want to stop with just the hashbrowns for dinner. I wanted to make a quick and easy dinner recipe using it.
Quesadilla is something which I frequently make for dinner. I love it for its cheesy flavor and the fact that it is very quick and easy to make. A cheesy quesadilla with a crispy hashbrown tucked inside sounded like an excellent combo and something I would absolutely love having for dinner. It sure did taste as delicious as it sounded. The tortillas were perfectly warm, the cheese just melted to the right consistency and the hashbrown was still warm inside with a bite of crispiness and a bite of tenderness.
The sauteed onion and mushroom added an extra level of flavor. And the freshness of the sour cream and the homemade pico de gallo perfectly complimented the cheesiness of the quesadilla. All in all, with Hungry Jack reducing the effort of making homemade Hashbrowns, these hashbrown quesadillas are one among the most easiest and flavorsome dinners I would ever want to make at home 🙂
Hashbrown Quesadilla is a quick and easy recipe which has a delicious layer of hashbrown, cheese, onions and mushrooms filled inside flour tortillas.
- Olive Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Yellow Onion - 1 small sliced
- White button Mushroom - 10 cleaned and sliced
- Garlic Salt - 1/4 tsp adjust per taste
- Red chilli powder | Cayenne pepper powder - 1 large pinch or, adjust per taste
- Cumin powder - 1 large pinch
- Hungry Jack Hashbrowns - 1 pack
- Flour Tortilla - 6
- Mexican Shredded Cheese Blend - as per taste
- Sour Cream - as needed
- Yellow Onion - 1/4 Cup finely chopped
- Tomato - 1/4 Cup finely chopped
- Jalapeno - 1/4 de-seeded and finely chopped
- Garlic Salt - a large pinch
- Lime - 1/4 juiced
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp chopped
- First add all the ingredients mentioned under "Pico de Gallo" to a small mixing bowl. Mix well until combined. Keep refrridgerated until needed.
- Now, heat the oil in a large pan and once hot add the sliced onion. Add a portion of the garlic salt, cumin powder and chilli powder and saute until the onions turn translucent.
- Now, add the sliced mushroom to the pan along with the remaining salt, cumin powder and chilli powder. Saute in medium-high flame until the onion and mushroom is wilted and about 75% cooked. Turn off the flame.
- Now, prepare the Hungry Jack Hashbrowns as per the instructions on the box. Open the carton and pour hot water. Leave it to rest for about 12mins. Once the mixture is soft, drain the excess water. Take about 1/2 Cup of the hashbrown mixture and add it to a flat griddle / tawa. Drizzle oil around the edges and gently press with a spatula to a round. Cook for about 3-4 mins on one side until golden. Flip the hashbrown and let the other side brown for a couple of mins. Repeat with the other hashbrown. Keep aside.
- Now, it is time to assemble the quesadilla. You can either use a quesadilla maker or a hot flat griddle/tawa. Place one tortilla on the griddle or quesadilla maker. Add the shredded cheese on top of the tortilla. Add some of the sauteed onion and mushrooms.
- Now, place one of the hashbrown on top. On top of the hashbrown, add some more cheese. Cover it with an another tortilla. Cook both sides until they are golden brown and the cheese inside has melted. Transfer to a cutting board. Use a pizza cutter to cut them up.
- Serve hot along with sour cream and homemade pico de gallo.
- Do not overcook the onion and mushrooms. They should be slightly crunchy inside the quesadillas.
- If using a griddle, gently press the quesadilla with a spatula on top while cooking.
- If you cant find garlic salt, use regular salt in the Pico De Gallo. And, for the onion and mushrooms, add regular salt + 1 minced garlic.
Do try the Hungry Jack Hashbrowns in this delicious Quesadilla recipe and let me know how you loved it. If you need help locating the product, you can use their online store locator. Also, do enter the Hungry Jack Hashbrowns for Dinner Contest between May 9 – June 19 by voting for my recipe photos and you would end up with a chance to win a grand prize trip to a NASCAR race.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.