This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LoveDoveFruits #CollectiveBias
My 270th recipe, “Chocolate Fruit and Nut Trifle”, a decadent, yet better for you dessert using DOVE® Chocolate Fruit & Nut.
While I have mentioned about making better for you choices while cooking, I never got a chance to talk about it in detail. I am not a person who believes in stereotype food practices. I try to incorporate as many better ingredients with my everyday cooking and that is it, nothing else fancy.
By now you would have seen that I have such a weakness for fried foods and sweets. While I do make them on a regular basis, I always make sure that I consume them in appropriate portions. Just because I make a big plate of murukku, doesn’t mean that everything is gone in a single day 🙂 Portion control is an important aspect of eating better. That lets me enjoy everything I love, in moderate quantities, without having to worry too much. It is always better to treat yourself now and then, rather than starving yourself for a while and then binge eating later just out of craving.
This Chocolate fruit and nut trifle is a perfect example of what I have spoken above. While it is surely loaded with fats and sugar, little tricks of mine actually make it better for you and to keep your craving away. Trifle, in general, is a layered dessert made with layers of sponge cake, whipped cream and custard / pudding. This chocolate fruit and nut trifle uses a delicious eggless brownie as the base. The first trick for portion control is to use a mini trifle bowl rather than a large one. One of those mini trifles were just sufficient for both myself and RK, making the whole recipe a 8 serving. Then comes the whipped cream. While you need whipped cream to make the trifle taste delicious by balancing the chocolate flavor, you can make it light by replacing a portion of it with yogurt. And finally the easiest of my tricks. Using DOVE® Chocolate Fruit & Nut instead of a heavy chocolate pudding layer, makes the whole trifle so much lighter and better for you.
To be honest, I love DOVE® chocolates and I can just keep eating them anytime without worries. However, I was so much excited to see a fruit and nut chocolate from DOVE®. I found them on a special store display while on my routine Walmart shopping. Since there were so many options and everything looked so good, I was initially left confused as to what to select.Then finally made up my mind to pick 3 of my favorite fruits which would compliment each other well in the trifle. DOVE® Dark Chocolate Strawberry & Cocoa Almond, DOVE® Dark Chocolate Raspberry & Honey Roasted Almond and DOVE® Dark Chocolate Cherries were my choices. This basically gave me almonds 2 ways and 3 fruits for my trifle. Apart from using some of them for my trifle, the rest served as a delicious and a better dessert option. I would just pop one into my mouth right after any meal, for a sweet finish 🙂
Chocolate Fruit and Nut Trifle
- Flax Seed Meal - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 5 Tbsp
- Sugar - 3/4 Cup
- Baking Powder - 3/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cocoa powder - 1/2 Cup
- Instant coffee powder - 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1/2 cup (* I used Sunflower Oil)
- All purpose flour - 3/4 Cup
- Heavy cream - 1 1/2 Cups
- Yogurt - 1/2 Cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Powdered Sugar - 1/4 cup (adjust per taste)
- DOVE® Dark Chocolate Strawberry & Cocoa Almond - As needed
- DOVE® Dark Chocolate Raspberry & Honey Roasted Almond - As needed
- DOVE® Dark Chocolate Cherries - As needed
- First, add the flax seed meal to a small bowl along with the water. Mix well and keep aside for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, add all the remaining ingredients (except all purpose flour) listed under "For brownie" to a large mixing bowl. Add the flax seed-water mixture to the mixing bowl. Mix well until everything is uniformly combined.
- Now, add the all purpose flour to the bowl and fold it in. Mix gently until uniformly mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 8X8 baking pan with aluminium foil. Make sure to let the foil extend outside, so that it will be easier to pull out the brownie when ready. Slightly grease the pan.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan. Tap the pan to let the batter spread evenly. Bake for about 20 - 22 mins. Test by inserting a toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean. Pull out the brownie from the oven and leave it to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, pull out the brownie from the pan and remove it from the aluminium foil. Cut it into small bite sized cubes.
- Now, time to prepare the whipped cream. Transfer the cold cream to a cold bowl. Beat it until fluffy. If using a electric beater, do it in Med-High speed. Now add the yogurt, powdered sugar, vanilla essence and continue to beat until it forms soft peaks.
- Now for assembling your trifle, take your mini trifle bowl. Add a layer of brownie. Add few of the DOVE® Chocolate Fruit & Nut. Then add a dollop of whipping cream on top. Again repeat another layer of brownie. Add a dollop of whipping cream. Add more DOVE® Chocolate Fruit & Nut on top.
- Serve immediately.
- - Do not over beat the brownie batter. The brownie will turn out hard.
- - Do not over bake the brownie. The brownie should be a little bit chewy and not dry.
- - Do not over whip the cream. It will turn into butter.
- - Keep the bowl used for whipping the cream and the beater in the freezer for 15 mins, before whipping. It helps to get good whipped cream.
- - The yogurt should be thick and fresh. Sour yogurt will spoil the flavor of the whipped cream.
- - Flax seed meal + water is a substitute for eggs. In case not vegetarian, you can replace with 2 medium sized eggs.
Do look out for the special store display of DOVE® Chocolate Fruit & Nut products this month on your next visit to Walmart. You can find yourself a coupon here to save $1.00 on your next purchase.