My 256th recipe, “Bean Burrito”, an easy, portable and flavorful wrap. Though Mexican cuisine is among my favorite cuisines, my knowledge of Mexican foods only extends as far as the nearby Tex-Mex fast food chains like Taco Bell and limited to dishes like loaded potato griller and cheese quesadilla. Those are the two dishes which I frequently have, whenever I choose to have a quick dinner. I had to wait until my trip to New York to try a different kind of Mexican food. Since we had a really hectic plan for the day, we wanted a place to make a quick stop for lunch, yet needed something filling which will keep my hunger at bay.
And above everything, I needed to find a place which also served some vegetarian options. This was the first time I stepped into Chipotle to try their famous Burrito. For folks who are not familiar, Burrito is a Mexican wrap made with flour tortillas and your favorite fillings. I was very much hooked up with that concept, since it gave me the freedom to choose whatever I want on my burrito. Apart from the option of making it vegetarian easily, I was also very comfortable since I could skip on some of the ingredients which I do not prefer, like bell peppers.
Though I liked the concept and flavor, I do not like to have a burrito from outside. It is actually a silly reason for me to avoid it. The burrito I get outside is so huge that I find it difficult to tuck it into my small mouth. I have to really stretch for a decent bite. Hence I prefer making burritos at home which are just perfect. Bean Burrito is one of the most easiest dishes I prepare. Technically speaking it does not need much effort or cooking. All you have to do is to prep the ingredients and keep it ready. And when hungry, just add your favorite ingredients in the ratio you love, wrap it up and enjoy.
I wanted this bean burrito recipe to be just a thought starter. I had added ingredients I normally cook, keep in my refrigerator and those I love. I had posted the recipes for cilantro lime rice and Mexican style beans earlier on the blog as well. But there is no hard and fast rule that you have to stick with the same. You can be as creative as you want and come up with different flavor combos and healthy options. Apart from being a nice dinner option, this can also be packed for your kid’s lunch box. On such days, you can be pretty sure that there will be no leftovers in your kid’s lunchbox 🙂
Bean Burrito is a Mexican wrap made with flour tortillas and bean filling and other delicious fillings of your choice. Perfect for a hearty dinner.
- Flour Tortilla - 1 (Burrito Size)
- Cilantro Lime Rice - 2 Tbsp
- Mexican Style Beans - 3 Tbsp
- Salsa - 1 Tbsp (I used Tostitos Chunky Salsa)
- Sour Cream - 1 Tbsp
- Shredded cheese - 2 Tbsp (I used Kraft Mexican 4 Cheese)
- Lettuce - 2 Tbsp (chopped)
- Black olive - 1 (sliced)
- First, warm the flour tortilla on a tawa / flat griddle or microwave.
- Place the flour tortilla on an aluminium foil or plate. Place all the other ingredients listed at the center of the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla once and push all the filling ingredients inside. Fold both the sides of the tortilla towards inside. Now roll the burrito tightly making sure that the filling does not come out. You can refer to the pics for rolling.
- Serve immediately with an optional side of salsa.
- The quantity of ingredients is just for reference. You can adjust per your taste preference. However it tastes good when beans quantity is atleast twice that of rice.
- You can add other ingredients as well or skip any of the mentioned ingredients. Sautéed Onion, bell peppers, corn would be nice additions.
- To make it spicy, you can add a couple of slices of pickled jalapeños or a couple of dashes of hot sauce.
- You can use either use black or red beans. I have used red beans to make this burrito.