My 259th recipe,”Healthy Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup”, a one pot homemade soup. It is really a shame that it took me this long to post my first soup for this winter. After learning how easy and delicious homemade soups can be, I started making a lot of soups both during the winter and summer last year. However, this time around I got a little indulgent with the holidays and treated myself to a lot of delicious appetizers/snacks and completely forgot to make myself some soup. It could also probably be because this year’s winter is not as harsh as the last year. But better late than never, decided to make myself a bowl of warm soup.
Sweet Potato is a veggie which I love to have in the form of fries and pudding. Since it has a nice natural sweetness and creaminess, I knew that it would make a great healthy soup. All I had to decide was the perfect seasoning for the sweet potato. I wanted to try something unique and not the usual stuff. Though I do not personally love it, I know that peanut butter is a favorite for most of the folks including RK. What could be better than a salty peanut flavor along with the sweet potato ?
Ever since I used coconut milk in the cauliflower soup, I love using it in soups. It makes the whole soup light and imparts a lot of flavor and health benefits. And thus I decided to combine all these idea sparks to make the most flavorful Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup. The soup itself is naturally sweet, nutty, salty and spicy. A perfectly balanced blend of flavors that makes you enjoy every spoonful of the soup. You will never regret your decision to eat healthy 🙂
Healthy Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Healthy Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup is naturally vegan, sweet, nutty, salty and spicy. The perfect bowl of healthy soup for a cold winter day.
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1/2 medium (chopped)
- Garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
- Sweet Potato - 2 medium (peeled and chopped)
- Red chilli flakes - 1/4 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Cinnamon stick - 1
- Water - 4 Cups
- Peanut Powder - 3 Tbsp (*refer notes)
- Maple Syrup - 1 Tbsp (optional)
- Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup
- First heat a large pan with oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the chopped sweet potato. Give a quick toss. Add the red chilli flakes, salt and mix well. Add the cinnamon stick, water, give another quick mix. Leave the sweet potato to cook in medium flame until done. Turn off the flame and let the mixture come to room temperature.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a blender/mixie. Add the peanut powder, maple syrup and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the soup back to the pan. Add the coconut milk and mix well. Heat on medium flame until soup is warm. At this stage you can taste the soup and adjust spiciness and salt. Turn off the flame.
- Serve warm with a garnish of roasted peanuts.
- Adjust the quantity of ingredients based on the size of the sweet potato.
- Adjust the quantity of water based on the desired soup consistency. For the quantity given, you will get a medium thick soup.
- For more flavor, you can use vegetable stock instead of water.
- I used Jif peanut powder, which is basically just powdered fresh roasted peanut with No sugar or salt. You can replace it with peanut butter. Or you can powder some dry roasted peanuts in a blender and use.