My 133rd recipe, “Godhumai Upma (Broken Wheat Upma)”, a healthy breakfast/dinner. Broken Wheat is a very healthy ingredient to cook with. It is high in fiber and has a low glycemic index. It gives you the sensation of feeling full for a long time. Hence dishes made from broken wheat would greatly benefit folks with diabetics and people trying to loose weight. It can work as a good substitute for rice in many of the south Indian dishes like pongal, idli, etc. This is one of the most easiest, flavorful and healthy recipes you could prepare with broken wheat. While I do not have a big liking towards upma, all the other 3 who play an important part of my life love it. My mom, MIL and RK are big time fans of upma. My mom used to make this godhumai upma for dinner along with a gravy which she prepares for lunch. And for me this is one of my goto dishes when I am too tiered or lazy to cook dinner. It is just as easy as throwing everything in the cooker and you have a healthy dinner ready in less than 10 mins. Especially, the one thing I love about this upma is the kind of nutty flavor which comes from the broken wheat. Very delicious 🙂
- Onion - 1/2 Large (sliced)
- Carrot - 1 medium (diced)
- Green Peas - 1/4 Cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp (adjust as needed)
- Broken Wheat - 1 Cup
- Water - 2 Cups
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Chana Dal - 2 tsp
- Broken Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Dry red chilli - 1
- Asafoetida - 1 large pinch
- First heat a cooker pan with oil, add the mustard and once it splutters add all other ingredients listed under "To temper" in the given order.
- Once the dals turn golden brown, add the onion and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the carrot, green peas, salt and saute for 2 mins.
- Now add the broken wheat and saute for an additional 2 mins until a nice aroma arises.
- Add 2 Cups of water, give a quick stir and pressure cook for 2 whistles or until the upma is cooked through. Turn off the flame, wait until the pressure subsides before opening the lid of the cooker.
- Serve upma hot with any south Indian gravy or chutney.
- - For extra flavor, optionally, you can add finely chopped ginger along with the onion.
- - You can skip the veggies if you like, still the upma would taste good.
- - Adjust the cooking time based on your stove settings.
Product(s) required for recipe:
|Prestige Pressure Cooker|
* The above link is an affiliate link which adds the product to your Amazon shipping cart. I earn a small commission if your decide to make a purchase.