My 66th recipe, “Homemade Bread”, the best outcome of baking. Though I have knowledge in cooking from my earlier age, baking is very new to me. I started with baking only after moving to US where I have access to an conventional oven in my apartment.
Though I used to eat bread in India, it was all just an occasional affair. Only after I saw the numerous varieties of bread at the supermarkets here in US, I grew a fascination towards breads. Ever since, it was only natural for me to have an urge to try making my own bread. Finally the day had arrived. I wanted to start with a basic version first before moving on trying other fancy varieties.
Though this was my first attempt, the bread turned out very soft and wonderful. Never knew that baking a bread could be so easy and there is nothing to match the aroma of a freshly baked bread. So, after today, I would never return to the supermarkets to buy a bread again 🙂 This recipe was adapted from Taste Of Home.
Easy Homemade Bread
A fool proof recipe to let you bake | make your own Homemade bread. A white bread recipe perfect to make toast for breakfast or sandwiches, etc.
- Active dry yeast - 1/2 package or 1/8 oz or about 1 1/4 tsp
- Warm water - 1 1/8 cups (About 110° F)
- Sugar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 1 Tbsp + For brushing
- All Purpose Flour - 2 3/4 - 3 1/4 Cups
- First take a large mixing bowl. Add the yeast, sugar, salt, oil and water. Mix thoroughly. Leave it for about 1 min, until it starts to bubble up a little.
- Now add 2 Cups of the All purpose flour to the bowl. Mix nicely until you form a nice smooth sticky ball.
- Add 3/4 Cup of the All purpose flour to a flat surface. Transfer the sticky dough to the floured surface. Keep stretching the dough with your palms and knead nicely for 10 mins until you get a smooth non sticky ball. Add more flour if needed, but I needed only 3/4 cups of flour.
- Oil the inside of the mixing bowl. Transfer the dough into the oiled mixing bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and leave it in a warm place for about 90 mins.
- By now, the dough should double in size. After the dough has risen, punch in the center of the dough. Transfer it to the flat surface and roll it in the shape of a loaf.
- Transfer it to a greased loaf pan. Cover with a clean cloth and rest it in warm place for another 30-40 mins. The dough will again double in size.
- Bake it in a 375 F oven for about 30 - 40 mins until the top is nicely golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush the top with olive oil.
- Leave it to cool down. Slice and enjoy with jam and butter.
- The water used for making the dough should be warm. Cold or hot water will kill the yeast and the bread will not rise.
- Kneading for minimum of 10 mins is extremely important. Use your palms to stretch the dough. This is needed to get a light and airy bread.
- Use a serrated or a very sharp knife for slicing the bread.
Submitted this recipe to Remmy’s Kitchen First blog anniversary celebration and giveaway.